uneven development with divided pyrocat in drums

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by AnselAdamsX, Nov 4, 2012.

1. AnselAdamsX

AnselAdamsX Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been developing film in print drums for a while and never noticed any uneven development. I've used D76, HC110 and Rodinol (1:50). Now I have some shots that I believe I grossly overexposed so I decided to try divided pyrocat to limit the development of the highlights. It seems to be working except I'm getting more development on one of the edges. Any idea on why I'm only noticing this problem with divided pyrocat MC (A1:20,B1:20)?

Thanks
    Chris

2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The drum is probably not level. This cries for a prewet, but you cannot do it with a 2 bath developer.

PE

3. frotog

frotog Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    In my experience Jobos are not the best way to do two-bath development. Development is quite rapid once the b solution hits and the longer exchange times between chemical baths cause streaking due to uneven development. I dip and dunk in tanks instead or do inversion with a couple of combi-plans - a solution in one, b solution in the other.

4. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, there is that too!

PE

5. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Using a drum with its constant agitation is also not recommended for divided development.