Uni Assignment

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by Jarvman, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been given an assignment at uni in which I've got to find a professional photographer who uses traditional methods, specifically black + white and get a raport going as to why they shoot B+W negative images over colour/digital. Then emulate their work. I think this site would be a good place to look seeing as there are plenty of working professionals here. Ideally it'd be somebody in Britain, or even better Wales who is in the vein of documentary or landscape photography. Can anybody give me any ideas? Cheers.

2. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    'emulating their work'? Why would you want to emulate the work of someone else?

3. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 5, 2007
  4. Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well not exactly emulate, but do something similar/your own take on it. That link won't work.

5. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Produce work in a similar style?

6. Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes

7. lewis-richards

lewis-richards Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i'm on the same course and also looking for somebody, so if anyone can help me aswell with a photographer who does landscape mainly would be lovley.

thx

8. Ray Heath

Ray Heath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hey Jarv
    are you researching anywhere else? how about a library? just what have you been taught in your course?

9. Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi from old South Wales to New South Wales. :D I haven't done alot of research yet. Just looking through issues of B+W magazine and amateur photographer for somebody I like in the articles. I'll have a good route through the bookshelf in college this week. Techically I haven't been taught anything I don't already know yet, apart from learning to use the D-word. They're still covering the basics to get us all up to a similar level. I've learned alot from the historical and contextual side of it though and have a much greater knowlege and appreciation of photographers that have shaped the course of the medium now. I've also learned a fair bit in the studio as far as basic lighting set ups are concerned. We haven't got into the full swing of things yet.

10. lewis-richards

lewis-richards Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yes i agree with jarvman he learnt how to break a light last week :D

11. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Jarvman. This seems to be basically the same thread as "Professionals who work in B&W". If it is then this might confuse posters( it has me) and requires both threads to be watched and responded to. It's your call but two virtually identical threads with different titles might not work in your favour or is this a means of pump priming responses which have started to die off?

I made another suggestion on the first thread yesterday. If you have seen it then fine.

pentaxuser

12. Jarvman

Jarvman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, it's not a way to garner any more attention. Nobody responded to this thread at first. I don't think I explained what I was trying to do properly enough here in the first place so nobody bit. I've just been replying to the questions asked here. Yeah agreed it's a bit confusing, I'll leave this one lie now.