Unicolor 8x10 drum seal

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Andrew Moxom, Nov 1, 2007.

1. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has anyone replaced their unicolor tanks seals? If so, where did you get them if still available? If not I would assume it is not impossible to make one? Anyone ever do that as well and what did you use? Sorry for the barrage of questions, but I have one tank out of two that is starting to leak and want to fix it.

Thanks Andy

2. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought a sheet of gasket material from a auto supply store that was about the same thickness as the unicolor seal and used the oringial as a pattern, but even then the tank still leaked a little. After a couple of trys I gave up.

3. Kilgallb

Kilgallb Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I used the seal from a Unicolour roll film tank. It is the same part and fit perfectly. It fixed my leak problems. Maybe you can find one second hand on ebay.

4. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Mine leaks a bit but I just place a small tray under the offending end and put up with it. Doesn't answer your question, does it :wink:

5. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Afternoon, Andrew,

If the Unicolor continues to be frustrating, check E-bay for a Chromega. I have two, one of which I've used (sheet film processing) hundreds of times over at least 25 years. So far, no leaks, no problems.

Konical

6. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I actually had a PM from someone who had the idea of using a folgers coffee can lid and tracing a copy of the original gasket on there that seems to work for him. I'll give that a go, or I might try some rubber sheets and do the same thing.

7. mark

mark Member

I tried everything on mine including a coffee can lid and nothing worked. Might work for you

8. dmax

dmax Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Andy,
    When new, the Unicolor gaskets are nice and pliant. Over time and with usage they become stiff and lose their resiliency, resulting in leaks. In the color section of the lab I worked in we had quite a number of Unicolor tubes under heavy use, and frequently replaced gaskets. I still use quite a few Uncolor tubes for my own work and have had to replace every single gasket.

The best material to use is thin neoprene (about 2mm thick), which you can buy in small sheets in a crafts store. They come in every imaginable color for kid's art and craft projects, including the mandatory black. A dollar for a sheet about 12x12 inches, enough material for a number of tubes. Use the old plastic gasket as a template, and cut a simple ring. You can dispense with the radiating tabs that come with the original gasket. I use an inexpensive circular cutter for the job, although a pair of scissors would do. 2mm is actually too thick to permit easy installation of the Uniroller lid, so what I do is I use a hammer to flatten the neoprene ring a bit. This also breaks in the material for a better fit. Remove the dried up original gasket, then rubber cement the neoprene ring onto the rubber ring seated in the perimeter of the lid. Install the lid. It will be tight at first. The let sit for a few days for the neoprene to break in. In all the years of refurbishing Unicolor tubes this way, I have yet to have a single leak. I too have tried using coffee can lids as replacement materials. They leak!

9. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    dont' forget to smear vasoline on the lid, and the gasket before you
    put them on. mine leaked, until i did that, now they don't leak anymore.