Uniroller for 4x5 and 8x10 film; questions

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by BenZucker, Sep 22, 2009.

1. BenZucker

BenZucker Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hello, I am looking to get a base and drum system for processing my 4x5 and 8x10 black and white film. I am unsure what drum to get that will allow me to do this. I read an artical that recomended a unidrum made for 8x10 prints, but upon further resurch it seems that these drums often have leaking gaskets. I am looking for recomendations on spesific drums that can do what is mentioned above and can change chemestry in daylight. (I plan to get the equipment off of eBay, but I live in NYC so if any one knows some place that has these in the city, let me know)

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How much do you want to spend?

The Jobo print drums are common and are still sold new. Would be okay for 8x10. The Jobo 2551 tank with the right reel would handle 4x5 and smaller very well on a uniroller.

For more money you could consider a Jobo Expert drum.

3. BenZucker

BenZucker Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The various drums I was seeing on "the bay" were pretty cheap, most under 20 shipped. How much would a Jobo set up like you mentioned run me?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2009
  4. BenZucker

BenZucker Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Just googles that tank, that's way more than I would want to spend.

5. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Morning, Ben,

I have two Chromega drums, one of which I've used for several decades; neither leaks or has any problems with securing film sheets in place.

Konical

6. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Chromega drums

I have both Unicolor and Chromega drums. The gaskets on the Unicolors do leak. The Chromegas have never leaked. A word of caution, be sure that the three rods are in the Chromega drums. They are easily removed for better cleaning and are often missing.
    Jim

7. BenZucker

BenZucker Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I see, every one thanks for the advice so far, its helpful, keep it coming. Also has any one used Cibachrome print drums in this way? With Cibachrome drums can i change chemistry in daylight?

8. BenZucker

BenZucker Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Also do the besler print processing drums have any parts that I would need to make sure are there? any reason I couldn't use this on a uniroller base?

9. DannL

DannL Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another vote for Mr. Chromega. I prefer it over a Jobo and the leaky Unicolor. I also use the very large Chromega that will accomodate several 8x10's and at least four 4x5's. It works great, also. Don't forget the three grey rods, and the separator gizmo if you go with a Chromega.

10. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yup, the unicolor would be the ribbed print drum to process film.
    for 4x5 you would need a funky rubber thingamabob to keep the film in place
    but for 8x10 you wouldn't need the little thing ...
    the unicolor drums tend to leak a little bit, mine did, until i contacted
    unicolor and they suggested smearing a little vasoline on both the gasket
    and the receiving end of the drum to form a good seal
    now it doesn't leak at all

11. mwdake

mwdake Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the Uniroller Drum for 4x5.
    It does leak a bit but a little vaseline on the gasket helps that.
    I put the whole motor and drum in a developing tray with a folded paper towel at the end just in case there is a little leak.

For the film separators I just made a couple out of a slice of a rubber bung fashioned to shape.

12. BenZucker

BenZucker Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    hmmm how much is "a little" a few drops or would you end up with a big puddle? also any one have any word on the Beseler print drums?

13. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Afternoon, Ben,

I tried to answer your question on Cibachrome drums yesterday, but the reply, for some reason, apparently didn't get into the Forum. The interiors of Ciba drums that I've used are completely smooth, no problem for a single 8 x 10 sheet, but impractical with 4 x 5 sheets which need to be separated and held securely. Yes, Ciba drums, like others, can be filled and dumped in room light.

Konical

14. sanking

sanking Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You could also use Beseler drums on either Unicolor or Beseler motor bases.

I have used drums for a long time to process LF and ULF film, using a motor base, and it is a good inexpensive alternative to Jobo. Also takes up a lot less room.

I have a number of both Beseler and Unicolor drums. None of the Beseler drums leak, all of my Unicolor drums leak, at least the ones that have gaskets. Unicolor did make some drums that use a friction cap like the Beseler and I have two of those that do not leak.

You want to make sure that the drum you buy has separators. These are built into most of the Unicolor drums, but the separators for the Beseler drums are small plastic rods that sometimes get separated from the drum. If you don't have the rods you will be pretty limited in terms of film size that you can process.

Sandy King