University of Calgary seeks film camera donations for art students

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by sienarot, May 8, 2008.

1. sienarot

sienarot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Derrick...
    I'm trying to get some cameras for some of the youth I work with at the shelter here in Edmonton. If I get some extra ones I'll send them your way. Let me know what you're looking for.
    ...Jordan.

3. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hehe, if those students were even slightly more enterprising they could find all manner of interesting film cameras on ebay and local classified ads for like $5. Still I hope they get some donations - I didn't know U of C was still teaching silver photography.

4. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Really, if ones spends more than $50 on a Spotmatic, or a Minolta SRT, one has paid too much. I wonder how many of these poor students are buying Starbucks? :wink:

5. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Tell them to use their Ralphbucks to get one!

Geez, isn't this the richest province in Canada? Seems universities there shouldn't have to go cap in hand asking for donations for something so small.

6. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hey, I know what it's like to be a poor student, and even then $20-$50 for a manual 35mm camera is nothing... now if you had to buy it near the end of the semester when the loan money was running dry and you'd been living off $500 a month salary and paying $700 in rent, that'd be a different story.. but when the student loan funds are fresh in the bank account - well, let's just say there's a reason all the vendors set up booths in the student center in September and October.

7. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Something's kinda screwy with finances in this province though. Infrastructure and health care has been kind of falling apart, universities (allegedly) poorly funded - I mean tuition has doubled in the last half decade.

I think it may eventually emerge that there has been some massive (multi)billion dollar fraud going on in the government, or between government and big industry or certain individuals, but that's just a hunch, and it will be up to other people to uncover it eventually.

8. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Good point, Walter -- notice I said "universities" not "students". Most prosperous and thriving societies realize they have to have a healthy arts sector in order to really progress, but that's another discussion for another thread.

9. MartinB

MartinB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    film still being taught

The good news is that the University of Calgary is still interested in teaching film photography.

Martin

10. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The big problem is that most of our money is being sucked down into the US and doesn't do our economy one bit of good. Maybe we should be like Venezuela and provincialize the oil industry. Cut the feds out too.

I agree with Martin that at least they are exposing their students to film and recognize it's a different medium than digital.

11. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yup, it's great, and donations to a university program are nothing but good. I just thought it was funny that the kids would rather fight over 3 cameras than figure out how to pick up something dirt cheap themselves. :smile:

If I had a spare camera I'd donate it. I have two actually, but they are in such poor condition (a broken shutter on one, gummed up shutter curtains on the other) that I wouldn't give them to my worst enemy.

12. sienarot

sienarot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sure thing Jordan! After reading the article this morning, I emailed the art department to see what they were looking for. She said they were primarily looking for 35mm equipment, but would be willing to take anything. Anything they wouldn't be able to use would be passed along to other schools.

On an unrelated note, I'll be up in Edmonton in the summer sometime. We should meet up!

13. sienarot

sienarot Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not just that, but even if the university was getting funding from the government, a majority of it would be divided up and spread towards areas that make for nice front page material, ie: medical research, technology, engineering, etc... "Undergrad still uses film!" doesn't make for exciting news, unfortunately.

14. DanielOB

DanielOB Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    ho ho, look our boys from Canada. Good. Just stay together.
    Daniel OB
    www.Leica-R.com