Unknown formation on slide

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by sadhna, Sep 25, 2004.

1. sadhna

sadhna Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello to everyone from Goa (India) - just joined the forum. Though Goa is a beautiful place with an amazing number of beaches - it is rather difficult to get basic photo equipment.

I have a problem and desperately need help. When moving a few months ago I left some slides in my slide tray and forgot all about them. Recently, while sorting my slides I found that there were web-like networks of white deposits on them. Is this fungus? I'm trying to get a film cleaner - but this may take time. Is there an alternative?

Thanks
    Sadhna

2. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sadhna:
    It does sound like fungus. I haven't removed fungus fom film in years(knock on wood) I seem to remember a commercial film cleaner that would do it. Edwal perhaps? Possibly Photographers formulary. They have an online catalog.
    Best prevention is dry storage or dessicants.

3. sadhna

sadhna Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Shaggy, thanks for confirming what I suspected. It'll take me time to get a photo cleaner but I've found a method - I'm not sure how permanent. I experimented with undiluted Photo-flo 200, dried the slides and then washed them in diluted Photo-flo solution. This seems to have done the trick. Sadhna.

4. mobtown_4x5

mobtown_4x5 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sadhna-

Welcome- I believe most of our sponsers will ship worldwide for web orders- if there is no DHL etc. in your town, maybe you could wait untill you have a fairly large order, and arrange to travel to a larger city to pickup? Here in the US most of our local camera stores have decided that devoting all their shelf space to competing with Walmart on digicams is a smart business model ( :rolleyes: ), so most of us here are trying to support our great pro-analog internet suppliers. Maybe you could contact some of them for guidance.

Good luck!

Matt

5. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. sadhna

sadhna Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks Matt, Helen

None of the metro's in India seem to store film cleaners - which is quite surprising especially Bombay which is such a humid place. Shall try one of your sponsors.

Sadhna

7. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sadhna,

The cleaning methods in the article I referred to don't require special fluids - the authors used things like ammonia, alcohol and sodium hydroxide (lye) which should be readily available.

Best,
    Helen

8. sadhna

sadhna Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Helen

Thanks very much - this was exactly what I was looking for. Unfortunately the Edwal's film cleaner is not internationally shipped. But, common chemicals are easily available. I've downloaded the article. Thanks again.

Sadhna