Unusual emulsion colour for ID'ing film?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Llamarama, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Llamarama

Llamarama Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello everyone, I have had a bit of a successful haul that included a pair of bulk loaders, both full of film.

The problem is I have no idea what type of film it could be. Perhaps unwisely I spooled some off one of them, shot it at ISO 50 and developed it C-41, turns out it's some Vericolor Slide duplication film, very nice.

The other film looks a lot older, possibly from the 60s, given the loader is an old phenolic Watson 66. The film in it has standard kodak perforations and the emulsion is a pale violet colour. the back of the film is the usual brown/orangeish so could be colour, maybe C-22 or Agfacolor since its quite a light brown.

I'll probably run off a 12 exposure roll and develop in Rodinal to see if theres any edge code (not holding my breath), but was wondering if there was ever a film that anyone on here can remember with a pale violet emulsion.

Any pointers would be helpful, sorry if this is in the wrong section. Thanks - Mike

2. Llamarama

Llamarama Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A bit more information I have a roll in my camera as we speak and I've been soaking a leftover from cutting a leader in some 60 degree C water to see if the emulsion will melt.

The emulsion doesn't melt so I can say it's probably a modern emulsion, has no rem-jet backing, so it's not Kodachrome or cine film.

I don't know wether to develop this in rodinal or to gamble some and send it away for C-41. Any tips?

3. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

1960 color neg was process C22. Not compatible with C41. It was a nice simple process at lower temp and longer times and was easily controlled.

Just bin the film as even if you figure it out, more can not be purchased.

4. Llamarama

Llamarama Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I spooled off what was left in the loader into cassettes, and inside there was a note saying Ektachrome 70. It's probably E-2 or E3 process Ektachrome then, I'll keep the film as a curiosity in my box of low grade expired film, more to play around with than anything else.

Thanks for the heads up on C22, i'll keep that in mind if I come across any.

Mike

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There had been a lot of processes back then.