Unusual Flaring

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by Dikaiosune01, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Dikaiosune01

Dikaiosune01 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    When I'm using my voigtlander 40mm f/1.4 (single coating) on my R3M, i'm getting quite a few frames with some unusual flaring.
    Most pictures are taken at f/1.4 or f/2. And all frames were taken in artifical light.

Where is this flaring coming from?

Strangely the flare always seems to be isolated in the same area; however not on every frame. It has happend on multiple rolls - in addition to the samples i'm showing from my latest roll.

There appears to be multiple light sources and I wish to learn how to anticipate these results. I've come up with a number of cracked theories. The most viable is a flaring from an artifical light source; but which one?

other crack theories include:
    Is it the SC lens? Do I really need to buy the MC lens instad? Is my lens bad? Lets but another lens (Burp! sorry, gas). Is there a hole in my shutter (this one was given to me from someone else. seems the most impossible)

Thank you.

Attached Files:

2. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd say it is a light leak over the take-up spool, closer to the bottom of the camera. Maybe from the hinge.

3. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It could be a light leak as ic-racer points out, check the foam, and try a piece of black tape over the gaps for a roll. This point is moot if you use the camera in the half case.

Also do you use a UV filter? This can cause flares to appear as well if not well multicoated.

4. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My immediate reaction was 'light leak' too. Curious it is in approx the same position on every frame, but maybe this is where the exposed frame sits after you wind on? If so - you could reload a film after exposure (or even just use a few frames). Place one frame accurately in the film gate and the next frame should show you exactly where the light leak is. Because it just looks like a little flare, it must be a very slight leak, might be tricky to find. Try placing some black PVC tape over the area (I bet it is the hinge) and shoot another film, to convince yourself it is a light leak.

5. Dikaiosune01

Dikaiosune01 Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have had a few rolls with no problems what so ever. This is a very very strange lightleak.
    And it isn't on every frame.

6. R.Gould

R.Gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Lkight Leak, I have had similer problems with some of my older cameras, traced it to a light leak, check the light seals,
    Richard

7. Diapositivo

Diapositivo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It might be that you use the camera part with the ever ready bag, and part without bag, when you keep it in a larger photographic bag or when you use a tripod. So you have the light leak only when you don't use the ever ready bag.

Been there, done that.

Fabrizio