Up here in rainy Portland Oregon.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the APUG Community' started by dpurdy, Dec 15, 2007.

1. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I guess I'll introduce myself though I have been imposing my 2cents worth quite a bit already. I just subscribed today. I wasn't going to because I did the math and figured that if everybody subscribed the owner would be getting paid way too much money, so some people have to free load. But I have come to be interested in several people that hang out here and I wanted to look at their photos and you have to pay to do that.

I studied photography in a couple of California schools back in the 1970s and haven't done anything but photography since, which is basically my whole responsible adult life.

I moved up to Portland in 1979 and took a short term job as a color printer then went to work in a commercial studio doing table top stuff for about 10 years after which I went to work on my own in my own studio and tried to convert my self to art photography while supporting myself with commercial work and custom lab work.

I am pretty much still in that phase though now I live with a woman in a long term relationship and I have a killer dark room in the basement and only go to the studio when I need to.

My interests/obsessions now are Rolleiflex talk and darkroom talk. My most serious work is LF in pt/pd though I am not really interested in talking about that stuff as I figure even though I have done it for 25 years I am still not an expert. It masters me more than I it. I love getting out and shooting with the Rollei and making little silver prints but I don't create much of a stir with that kind of work. Just another one of the millions of photographers adding prints to the unending mountain of prints in the world.

I wonder a lot why I hang out in APUG rather than doing some creative work but my communication obsession needs more feeding than I can get from my busy friends and my spouse isn't a visual artist. She is a dancer.

Anyway that is me.
    Dennis Purdy
    my web site is just a bunch of portraits and wedding stuff. Not very interesting
    dennispurdy.com

2. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome, Dennis...

3. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome Dennis, form across the way in western Massachusetts.

gene

4. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Welcome to APUG, Dennis (from a wee bit more than halfway to Gene & Suzanne)! :wink: :D

Oregon is a place I've longed to visit! Glad you decided to subscribe (trust me... Sean does not get paid nearly enough). :wink:

5. rpsawin

rpsawin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dennis,

Welcome from balmy Seattle.

Bob

6. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    That bit about his earnings was supposed to be just a little joke. I hope it doesn't get taken wrong.

thanks Dennis

7. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Noticing now the membership rating, mine being "subscriber", I notice that Suzzane, papagene and BWGirl all are "council". What does that mean. I can't find info on it anywhere.
    Dennis

8. Robert Brummitt

Robert Brummitt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    From another wind blown and wet photographer

Welcome Dennis.
    Where did you work at? I was with Wy'east color for some time from 1996 to 2002.
    If you wish to me other Portland photographers. Check out Portland Photographers Forum. We're a great group of people.

R

9. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi Robert, I worked at Dahlstrom photography throughout the 80s doing sunday paper type ads and catalog work for all the usual people and a bunch of computer clients as well. 1990 through 97 or so I had a studio down in the Pearl district. I got priced out of that neighborhood and put my darkroom in the house and work out of a studio inner N Portland. I have been thinking of checking out the PPF and maybe I should. I just came in from checking out the Michael Kenna exhibit. Stunning prints. 8th and Davis next door to Blue Sky.
    Dennis

10. Erik Hartmann

Erik Hartmann Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    A Welcome from Copenhagen.... Dennis.
    Just got a Rolleiflex made in the beginning af the 1950'th.....
    And do not knew much about it, but it take fine pictures.....

niels-erik

11. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Glad to hear you finally ponied up the twenty-bucks. Somehow, I don't think it will push Sean into a higher tax bracket! :surprised:

Anyway, welcome to the "real" APUG and post some pictures, already! :wink:

EDIT: Dennis the "Councillors" are our "wise elders" as designated by Sean. Whether any of them actually conform to either criterion is questionable! :rolleyes:

12. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome from the frigid prairies.

PS, the Council used to be called the Star Chamber. They are wise. Send them any unused analog gear that you have or buy them beer, and they will be your friends.

13. Mike Lopez

Mike Lopez Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi from chilly Hillsboro.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello from a state more north from you, it rains here too, too much. I always wanted the Rollei SL66 but never found one and when I did I did't have the money. I have everything from a Nikon F3hp to 8x10 in multiples. Working on an 11x14, have a darkroom and went to a couple of California photo schools too. Multiple college degrees, Vietnam Veteran and disabled from radiation work and retired. Have fun and learn a lot from the people here.

Curt

16. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the introduction, from north of you, in British Columbia Canada, where it has been known to rain a drop or two....

I was going to suggest that APUG establish another category for George - "Curmudgeon" - but there may be too many others eligible for the same designation :smile:.

Matt

17. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I am pretty sure I would fall under that catagory. I have family in BC and go every year at least once to Mission and Langley. I love it up there.
    Dennis

18. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dennis, welcome to the group and thank you for being a subscriber. Merry Christmas.

19. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I can see dance as both a performing and visual art.

Anyway, welcome from Japan.

20. Doyle Thomas

Doyle Thomas Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Welcome from Vancouver
    Doyle

21. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks Doyle. I enjoyed looking through primaryfocus.com. I think my favorite photo might be the two toad stools. Plus I like your statement.
    Dennis

22. rbergeman

rbergeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    hi dennis --
    like you i am a recent subscriber and noticed your name in an earlier thread about the kenna show, which i went up to see yesterday before it closed .... i've seen your work as well -- i think the first time was in an exhibit here in corvallis where i live (it was several years back) -- it was pt/pd work, mostly still lives, and very impressive (i was particularly taken by the expressively deep printing) .... i believe we have (or perhaps had) a mutual friend/acquaintance and fellow pt/pd printer--todd parker, also from corvallis ..... he moved up to shelton, wash., about six or seven years ago, tho, and i believe may have dropped out of photography as his family grew .... i also own one of your silver prints, purchased at the u of o auction in 06 .... all those connections, yet we've never met!

rich

23. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Welcome from middle England Dennis, enjoy the company.

24. dpurdy

dpurdy Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks Dave. I have friends down in the south of England I am hoping to visit one of these days. I hope that Rollei is working out for you.

Rich, thanks for the kind words and buying my print. Maybe you should meet up with my brother there working, in a frame shop. He is an excellent guitar player and loves bluegrass so perhaps your mandolin would go well. If you know Jackie Branch (Harrison's wife) she might know where his frame shop is. Unfortunately I don't keep in touch with him. I definitely know Todd Parker and have wondered what happened to him. Last I talked to him he seemed more into his painting than photography. I have a couple of his platinum prints. I am sorry we missed at the Kenna show since I went to it again yesterday as well. Wanted to have a second look on the last day. I was wondering who got the silver prints from the museum. It was an experiment to show the silver prints as they really prefer my platinum stuff by I am far more inspired now to shoot with the Rollei and print silver. I was told by Susie after that, that my platinums get far more appreciation so I put in platinums again this year. thanks for getting the silver print.
    Dennis

25. rbergeman

rbergeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    i recall seeing your platinum prints at this year's auction (and particularly remember the still-life; reminiscent of early dutch paintings) ...... and you're right, the buying public there is much more interested in authentic prints (both silver and platinum) because they are becoming pretty rare amidst all the digital prints being donated these days ....... there were a handful of nice platinum prints in the auction this year -- phil harris, dick artentz, joe lipka ....... i saved all my pennies to bid high enuf to buy arentz' big platinum of a street scene in portugal ..... my donation of a platinum print of the cloisters under lacock abbey also proved popular, partly because it's connection to photo history (i made it from a digital neg, tho, so i can't post the example here-- i think it's still at the photographyatoregon.org site, tho, if you care to take a look) .... i'll ask around about your long lost brother, but i'm afraid my mandolin playing is not good enuf to come out of the closet as yet -- i just plunk away for self-enjoyment ..... good luck with the rollie

rich

26. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Welcome from Norway too, I figure it's about time a moderator said hello. :smile:

As someone else said in another thread, we're all beginners here. Just that some of us have been beginners for longer than others...