Update / HARMAN Cooltone Developer :

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Simon R Galley, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Simon R Galley

Simon R Galley Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A few weeks back, we had a couple of threads about ILFORD Cooltone Developer that is no longer manufactured. I promised that I would speak to the board of HARMAN to see if they would release the formula so it could be made available to those who make their own chemistry.

Well, I spoke to the board yesterday, and two of the board memebers are actually chemists, the Managing Director and the Chairman... and they pointed out something that I did not know. One of the constituent materials used in the manufacture of HARMAN Cooltone is a chemical that is only manufactured by HARMAN R&D itself and as such its chemical make up and manufacturing process is company IP and therefore confidential so it could not be released, I am sorry.

What they have asked me to do is to look at the 'viability' of a custom make of the product and to present to them the financials at the next board early February, dependant on costings etc they will decide whether to authorise a 'custom' make, perhaps once per annum.

So to be clear, I am not saying we are going to make again, what I am saying is that they will consider it. I will let you know how I get on.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

2. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Simon,
    as always we appreciate your efforts.

3. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Wooo hooo for your efforts!!

I would take 1 bottle (I have never used it so maybe more each successive year should the results be what I am looking for) should the price to purchase in the US not be out of this world

4. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would by a few bottles, still have two left. The keeping properties unmixed is quite outstanding, i see no difference to the developer now and 3 years ago.
    Thanks for looking into this Simon.

5. delphine

delphine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You've got one to spare? :wink:

It would be awesome if the product was available even on an annual special order basis. Also, as previously suggested, it could be made available in its powder form to reduce storage/packaging/and manufacturing costs.

How about we call it the super cool, cooltone dev :smile:

Best

Delphine

6. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Simon, thanks for asking the questions!

I would buy it if it were available, if I had to order up some once a year, so be it.

7. Sim2

Sim2 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I love the feedback/interaction available here with some manufacturers, this is customer service!
    I have never used the cooltone dev but having followed the previous threads I am intrigued with it as an opposing alternative to the warmtone dev. Long answer, but I would put in for a bottle (at similar cost to warmtone dev) - for curiosity sake and perhaps to assist those that really need the dev back again.

Sim2.

8. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will definitely take at least one bottle, maybe two, if the price is anything at all reasonable. I too have never used it but would like to find a true cool tone developer, so I'd be eager to try it.

9. Jeff Searust

Jeff Searust Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Simon-- Be sure to point out that if it has a shelf life at all, that a single yearly run might be a real good seller. I don't know of any other specific developer like this at the moment, and like the yearly film runs, we could all gang up with orders at one time a year. If it has a significant shelf life then doing runs at the end of that shelf life might be an interesting idea--- one year... three year?

10. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It is great for split developing not just as a single developer. By variations in time between the cool tone/warm tone developers you have so many options. Works great with Ilford warmtone paper.

11. Mike Crawford

Mike Crawford Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Been asked before, but wouldn't powder form help for keeping long term between yearly batches?

12. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I recently found an open bottle of both cool tone and warm tone developers that I had packed away a few years ago. Tried them out and they both are working like new, so it certainly seems to keep. I'm most fond of the warm tone, but I'd probably use a few bottles a year of the cool tone.

13. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks Simon

Another question for your on-board chemists.

Is there any chance that the cool-tone developer could be approximated by combining an existing Ilford Developer and a proprietary additive?

That way you could offer the additive on a special run basis, without impacting your regular lines.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    • Thank you, sincerely, for your efforts Simon. To say I'm blown away by the commitment to analog and the customer service would be a gross understatement.

• I'd be certainly open to a yearly buy if such a scenario would be more feasible for your company.

• Did I say thanks for your superior products and tireless efforts..?

16. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow. I am so thoroughly impressed by the way you gentlemen run your company...

I've never tried the Cooltone Developer. However, I am fond of a cooler look. So in the spirit of demonstrating support to those manufacturers who do so much to support us, I'll commit to purchasing several bottles and give it a try. If it turns out good for me, that will be great and I will happily purchase more. If it turns out not so good for me, then I'll give away the remaining bottles for free in the APUG Classifieds.

Ken

17. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Would it be possible/feasible to make a warmtone and cooltone additive to add to standard developer?

Steve.

18. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Very cool. I'd buy a bottle a year even if I didn't use that much...

19. brianmquinn

brianmquinn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would buy a few bottles and hand out a few free samples to fellow photographers. That way I could get them to order some in the next batch produced.

20. eskyone

eskyone Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes

I would purchase one.

21. lightwisps

lightwisps Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Put me down for 2 bottles. Thanks, Don

22. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Simon, once again thanks for your valuable support, and helping to foster the interaction between Ilford/Harman and its customers. It is much appreciated.

Now all you have to do is get to work on Delta 50... :smile:

23. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Fot those considering it, I have used CT dev with Ilford CT paper and the effect is amazing. It gives an "icy cold" look that I found unique.

I could not achieve this look by any other means. If cool prints are your thing then do buy the CT dev and combine it with CT paper. If you are not sure but think it is a look that you will like then I don't believe you will be disappointed if you opt to buy.

I am not sure it was what I wanted but it really works well

pentaxuser

24. DarkMagic

DarkMagic Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Count me in for 20 liters!

25. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I suppose we can assume there will be a US distributor? I was more or less assuming that when I said I'd take it - I will if I can.

As far as the MGCT paper, I'd love to try that, it sounds like it would fit some of my images well, but I prefer to make display prints on FB. Any chance of a FB version? Barring that (I don't care that much if it looks right) in 16x20 sizes? I haven't tried it so far because I can get it in 16x20 so I'd have to change papers anyway for my largest size. I've standardized on papers I can get in all the sizes I print.

Oh and +whatever number we are up to now on the kudos for Simon's communication here and Ilford's responsiveness. Say what you like about using the materials you prefer, I lean toward Ilford any time there's a toss up, even if the price is higher. Ilford is clearly serious about their commitment to analog photography and black and white. I like to reward that with some loyalty of my own. (Ok, I still like Tri-X and T-Max developers, but I'll give DD-X a try...)

26. Grainy

Grainy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format