Update on APUG site work

Discussion in 'APUG System Announcements' started by Sean, Sep 15, 2005.

1. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi guys, just an update on what I've been working on lately and will be working on in the next few weeks. I'm very excited about these changes and so far the dev site is looking fantastic.

-Revamped site design
    Includes a 100% width design, new single line menu bar with better organization and design (it's pretty), static search box in the header which provides an instant search, a left side bar which will contain links to the most recent articles and chem recipes submitted (this will drive more participation in that area), the side bar will also contain the most recent classified ads, and most recent gallery image. The homepage will have a better layout and the site footer is being slightly redone. Blaze on is helping me create a new header APUG logo. The weblinks area will be incorporated into the site design and not just a stand alone area like it is now. Better info section on benefits of subscribing.The site is going to look great! Here is a taste of the new menu and search box:

[​IMG]

continued..

-New integrated Classifieds/Auction system. This is close to finished and as discussed in the other threads will be very cool

-APUG Shop, we'll have a dedicated page for listings to APUG clothing, etc, and will also allow APUG members to sell their own APUG logo'd gear.

-APUG Print Sales Gallery- subscribers will have access to a nice ecommerce enabled storefront to sell prints, this is nearing completion

-Help Desk system- the "contact us" form will route through a proper help desk system, so I can keep more control over issues.

-Mailing list- I will start building a list of subscribers who would like to be notified of special offers from our sponsors. You'll be emailed by the sponsor with a coupon code which can then be used for discounts on their products, I'll be working with our sponsors on this soon.

-Proper Regional Groups/Chapters- each region will have a dedicated area/members list/president/calendar/etc groups will be better equipped to plan events and represent APUG at various conferences throughout the world.

-Mentoring Program- An area which allows for beginners to find a mentor. Still thinking about the best way to go about it.

I'm sure there are a few things I've left out but that is the bulk of it. I'm taking off a few weeks starting the 26 so most of the finishing touches will be completed then. Stay tuned! Sean

2. PeterDendrinos

PeterDendrinos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Looking forward to it Sean. If there is anything i can assist you with please don't hesitate to ask.

Pete

3. Joe Lipka

Joe Lipka Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for all the effort you are putting into keeping the site updated and working. A lot of work for which many people thank you.

4. Richard Wasserman

Richard Wasserman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sean you've been busy,I can't wait to see what you've done. Thanks for all your hard work.

Richard

5. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    You're going to get a percentage of the classified, auction, shop, and gallery sales I hope! You deserve it...thanks :smile:

Murray

6. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's the idea Murray. I'm putting in a lot of work to improve the site to get revenue up, then maybe I can do apug part time.

7. Steve Sherman

Steve Sherman Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Quite an undertaking Sean. We are all indebted to you for your talents. Please incorporate a means to generate monies for yourself.

Many thanks, Steve

8. Thomassauerwein

Thomassauerwein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks for the work! be sure let us know if you need anything at all!

9. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    :D :D :D Oh boy Oh boy Oh boy....you go Sean....can't wait....!

10. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks good Sean. Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Paul.

11. FrankB

FrankB Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sean, you manage all this, a family and a job?!

You obviously wear your underpants outside your trousers. Suggest you increase the purchase price of the baseball caps and put the surplus income into getting a teeshirt with a big 'S' on the front. For 'Sean', obviously...!

Many, many thanks!

12. Claude

Claude Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hello Sean,
    I can no more access to the french forum (mysql errors), I think you are in the way to make changes as announced in the english forum.
    And cherry on the cake your mailbox seems to be full...
    Friendly
    (a poor and lonesome french moderator :smile: )
    Claude

13. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very cool, Sean! Thanks for all your hard work & thanks to Blaze On, too! :D Can't WAIT to buy my APUG t-shirt! :smile:

14. Sean

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    just another update

Things are on track, I should have most everything launched within 10 days (My 2.5weeks of vacation from the day job starts in 3 days, that's when I'll really be cooking)

-In addition to the features listed in the first post on this thread there will also be a new WAP system installed for subscribers, allowing full WAP capability, meaning you can participate in the forums (log in,check new posts,post,pm,etc) via mobile phone or PDA.

15. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That's great Sean, thank you!

Can I make a couple suggestions regarding galleries and comments?
    - Notification for new comments for your photos like the New Posts and PM ones. Clicking on it would show a page with thumbnails of your photos and the new comment next to it like in the main gallery window.
    - A list of all the comments you have made on other member photos.

16. seadrive

seadrive Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey Sean, the new features sound great, but don't forget to allocate a few days of your vacation to your avocation (that would be the "P" in APUG), okay? :smile:

17. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Perfect, I use my PocketPC to log into APUG once in a while, and always found it a pain. This will be great while I am traveling.

Mahalo nui loa!!! (Thank you very much - your Hawaiian lesson of the day).