Update on new APX 100 manufacture?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Tom Kershaw, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Tom Kershaw

Tom Kershaw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A while ago, (not sure of the thread now), I remember Fotoimpex / Adox made comments about re-introducing the APX line of films including 120 format and sheet film. However I've not seen any more recent updates. Any news?

I realise APX 100 is still available in 35mm format from the old Agfa made film.

Tom.

2. Aurelien

Aurelien Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Impex speaks a lot... may be too much... They announces lots of things, but we have never seen anything.

3. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's not quite true. Adox MCP papers are now available.

4. RobertV

RobertV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rollei Maco has introduced two new Rollei Retro films to replace the existing Retro 100/400 (APX100/400):

Retro 80S and Retro 400S.

Here one of the more professional Retro 80S film tests against several popular films:

Conclusion: Retro 80S is even finer grained then Kodak Tmax 100. Resolution >150ln/mm and has even the same fine grain and resolution then the APX25.

Pretty good data.

5. ADOX Fotoimpex

ADOX Fotoimpex Partner Partner

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Tom,

The whole project is on hold. We currently have in Germany a price niveau for original Agfa branded APX films of 1,30 EUR and some private label brands with genuine Agfa film inside are even sold at 1,00 EUR.
    As long as the situation stays like this we can´t push this project to a end.
    At these prices we cannot produce. Impossible for a quality product.

I had tried to always mention this when I spoke about APX and our plans to keep the film allive.

When Agfa´s stocks finally come to an end we will continue.

Meanwhile we make only the MCP paper out of the range of former Agfa products and soon we will have the MCC as well.

Best regards,

Mirko

6. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    While the current low prices for the remaining Agfa film stocks in 35mm and 120 certainly may keep anyone from attempting to produce new stock in those formats, the Afga sheet film sizes have been gone for a decade. I think there would be a ready market for APX 100 in 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10 sizes. It was beautiful film.

7. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    What a lovely, clear, honest answer

Doesn't it make a change from the usual marketing babble

Thank you Mirko

Martin

8. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mirko, thanks. I would like to know if the 120 size of the APX films could now be produced? I think the current inventory has dried up some time ago as I only see it listed on ebay and going for healthy prices. If they were able to be produced, I'd be first in line!

9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In that test Robert has posted obove the Retro 80S is called a film of "classic, cubic crystal-technology".
    Agfa however stated a few years ago that their (aerial) films are made of crystals of a core-shell, thinner than wide structure.

10. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Boy, who peed in your breakfast?

11. Sal Santamaura

Sal Santamaura Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are other films available, but no paper like MCC. I'm anxiously awaiting your "middle of 2009" production coating target date and hope it is not delayed. Best wishes for a successful run!

12. Alex Bishop-Thorpe

Alex Bishop-Thorpe Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for the honest update - and thank you, Robert, for indicating 80s and 400s, something I hadn't heard mention of in a while. I'll give it a look.

13. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I second this. Marketing bla normally starts with "less grain, better emulsion, great tones" and other factoids, and that is fatal if a company wants me to by their products, it acts as a deterrent. :D

Agfa must have produced huge amounts of film in their death agony, and somehow they must have missed the market requirements. APX 100 is undoubtedly a good film, but whatever we can buy today is old stock and will not get better over the years, no matter on which kind of base you scrawl it.

At least for 35mm there is more than enough 100 ASA film in the market to fill the gap until an ingenious inventor creates a worthy successor and offers fresh produce.

14. ADOX Fotoimpex

ADOX Fotoimpex Partner Partner

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Jim,

from a market standpoint you are absolutely right. We could make a certain amount of film and convert it to sheets and 120. However we currently judge the demand for these formats to be less than half of the market of 35mm. Playing with the emulsions in the lab using stabilizers and sensitizers taken over from Agfa costs pennys. Restocking them on a production scale is an investment which has to pay back in a certain timeframe.

We are currently investigating if we can change some ingredients with little or no effect on the film´s charactersitics so we can bundle the purchase with other products. If this works we consider a small scale start.
    But I can´t give you a timeline. We are only in research now.

Best regards,

Mirko

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 21, 2009
  15. abeku

abeku Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ... and I will line up behind Jim. I'm really missing APX in the 120-format - Rodinal user as I am. Thanks for keep the Agfa heritage alive, Mirko!

16. Henning Serger

Henning Serger Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

the test report quoted by Robert was made and published by me. Probably Robert simply has forgotten to add the source. No problem.
    Concerning the question whether the Agfa-Gevaert Aviphot Pan 80 (= Rollei Retro 80S, http://www.agfa.com/sp/en/binaries/AVIPHOT PAN 80_tcm221-42585.pdf) is a film with classic cubic crystals the responsible manager for this film at the Agfa materials group was asked directly. He confirmed that this film has a cubic crystal structure.

Best regards,
    Henning

17. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you gentlemen. I look forward to the day when APX films are running thru my cameras again.

18. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess that I am in the minority here, but the only Agfa film I am really interested in trying is the Agfapan 25. I have been reading ecstatic comments about it on the Internet for a very long time, particularly when paired with Rodinal. But somehow I have never gotten around to trying it. Perhaps I would try it and be disappointed that it didn't live up to the hype, but I would still like to try it. Apparently its fans don't believe that the slow films from Efke and Ilford are a reasonable substitute.

19. jim appleyard

jim appleyard Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Chazzy, Agfa 25 is often available on ebay...if you want to pay for it. It truly was/is a great film and I also liked it in Rodinal. If you do see some, make sure it's been frozen since day one as it has been out of production since '01.

Efke 25 and Ilford Pan-F are reasonable subs, but they are different. Efke has QC problems; love the look tho' and Ilford is, for some folks, tough to get right.