Updates to rules for Classified Ads

Discussion in 'APUG System Announcements' started by David A. Goldfarb, Jul 11, 2012.

1. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Just to clarify a few established norms and practices in the Classified Ads section, we've updated the rules as follows:

2. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There are no real changes in policy here, but a few points to note, about which there often seems to be confusion--

We don't want to be a link farm for eBay, but if your item doesn't sell after a week or so and you want to move it to eBay, it's okay to post a link to the auction as a comment to the existing thread.

It is not necessary for the seller to name a price, though it's a nice thing to do.

Let's not have potshots from the peanut gallery please. If you think the price is too high, but aren't planning to make an offer yourself, then the market can decide that without heckling. If you think an ad violates the rules, just like any thread, please report it to the moderators, rather than commenting in the thread.

If you want to cover your sales overhead aside from shipping (packaging, driving to the post office, transaction fees, etc.) we'd recommend doing it like any other business and incorporating that into the cost of the item. Be aware that you may be violating your agreement with your payment service, if you ask the buyer to cover transaction fees. It is also perfectly reasonable for one party in the transaction to refuse to do something illegal, like misreporting customs status or value.

3. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That sounds all very reasonable. One thing I've never been able to figure out though, is how to lock my classified ad thread after the item has sold? Can you give us a reminder?

4. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would suggest making a price mandatory, as other such sites require, rather than optional.

If optional, you're just running an auction site.

- Leigh

5. Dinesh

Dinesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would be nice if certain prolific sellers, I can think of one in particular, would donate a small percentage to APUG.

The amount of resources, both human and financial, that are required to keep this site running are larger than you may imagine.

6. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I'm a bit unsure as to how a regular member/subscriber can lock a thread in classifieds, so I'll let Sean or someone else field that one. If you have an "administrative" tab in the top right corner menu above the first post in the thread, there should be a "close thread" option there. I think that's how it should work, but logged in as a moderator, I'm not positive.

We have no problem with potential buyers making offers on "best offer" sales, as long as it doesn't become disruptive. Some have even proposed auction style sales (not necessarily with eBay rules--for instance the seller could decide to take the last bid that remains unchallenged for 24 hours, or with other rules), and the problems that people predicted have just never come about. The truth is, if people want an auction, they prefer the established rules and systems of an auction site, and we can't provide that. If the terms of sale are too onerous, no one will buy. If no one wants to do the research necessary to make a fair offer--which I always do whether the seller names a price or not--then sellers will figure out that this strategy is unsuccessful. The market seems to be regulating itself fairly well, so as long as it doesn't impinge on the culture of the forum, we'd prefer fewer rules to more.

The donation has always been voluntary. It's up to Sean to decide if that should change.

One thing that's come up that we haven't made a rule about is "bumping" threads. Personally I find this a bit silly, and it's been mentioned by a number of users as a source of irritation. For now, we'll just recommend that if you want your ad to have more visibility, or to be more successful, then provide more information or new information, if you're going to comment on your own ad--try better photos, examples of what the lens or camera can produce, a demo video, offer extra incentives like free shipping or accessories, or try a lower price.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2012
  7. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would also like to see some kind of guidelines for "bump"ing. I had two ads of my own that got bumped down as a result so fast that in few hours, it was not on the first page. I think it's unfair. There are small number of posters whokeeps bumping theirs for two pages or more and very rapid successions. That's excessive.

8. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After learning years ago that most people that do "make offer" ads are hoping for higher than market price I ignore them always.

9. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. Dinesh

Dinesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sean is too nice a guy to call these people out.

I, as anyone who knows me can attest, am not.

11. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's a yellow banner at the top of every classified ad that tells you how to lock it.

- Leigh

12. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You're right, totally excessive. That would count as disruptive to the forum.

Please report it next time you see it. There aren't enough moderators to check every thread.

13. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thanks, Leigh.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Call me stupid, but I don't see any yellow banner. Screenshot attached.

Attached Files:

16. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The yellow banner has a little box at the right side, like other system notifications, that will dismiss/disable it.

I don't know if that is thread-specific or a general preference setting.

- Leigh

17. BradS

BradS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

goto your classified "For Sale" posting,
    in the top right corner, click the drop down menu button labelled "Administrative"
    The radio button "Close Thread" should already be selected
    click "proceed".

This administrative menu only appears on for sale threads that you have started.

All done.

18. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But that's the thing: I don't have an Administrative button. See screenshot of my ad.

Attached Files:

19. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Another forum I participate on only lets you post the ad, edit the original and close the ad - no bumping allowed, all discussions are to be done via PM's. I too don't like the over bumping.

Also, maybe we should have another sub section for 'ConUS only' sales....... hat, coat, I'm outta 'ere....

20. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Maybe there's a time limit. Sean should know.

21. BradS

BradS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hmmm....I give. No idea. As David said, perhaps, Sean knows?

I've attached a screenshot of one of my classified postings for reference. The administrative button is right there next to the thread tools button...and, yeah, I see that the administrative button is missing on your screen shot.

????

Attached Files:

22. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Maybe the rights for those in the council are not like subscribers and mods...

For sure a Sean question at this point as that is the only overt difference from Michel and Brad

23. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What the heck is a 'council'?

- Leigh

24. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +1

and no buyer pays paypal fees ...
    it is against paypal policy to force a buyer
    to pay for the fees that allow a seller to user the service.

if they don't want to use the service, then use a different way to collect $$ ...

and no buyer asks sellers to lie on customs forms.

25. BradS

BradS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The council is made up of people who have been around here for a while and understand the community. They represent us...in decisions regarding...well, ettiquette, censure, etc....they help the moderators moderate (without actually having the power to moderate). In a sense, the council can be thought of as adding moderation to the moderators.

The creation of the council recognizes the difficulty of moderating such a large and diverse community.

26. BradS

BradS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    ++1 !!!!