Uprade from Shen Hao 4x5 camera

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by borgida, Oct 23, 2006.

1. borgida

borgida Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hello

I have had the Shen Hao as my first 4x5 camera for the past four years.]
    I am ready

2. DeanC

DeanC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Out of curiosity, what do you want to do that it can't?

3. Digidurst

Digidurst Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe he just wants a prettier camera. Maybe one of those Ebony jobs with the titaniam.

4. DeanC

DeanC Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those do fall well within "pretty" territory...

5. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shen Hao 5x7. They've got the upgrade waiting for you -)

6. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wehman 8X10 - if size matters -

7. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Yes it begs the question, are you looking to upsize format, or are you just looking for a better/more expensive/prettier camera. If your looking to upsize, I'd head strait to 8x10, but thats just me. Many really like 5x7 and they have good reasons to. If your looking for a better/more expensive/prettier camera, I like some of the Canham offerings, and had a chance to play with one in Tonopah at Per's workshop. Sweet. My Tach works just fine though, and I would spend money on glass before I changed cameras, but thats just me.

8. Scott Peters

Scott Peters Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    upgrade?

Is it size or are you looking for a camera with 'finer' movements? Arca Swiss Discovery? PErhaps?

9. GeorgesGiralt

GeorgesGiralt Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Hi !
    One of the finest 4x5 camera ever produced : Arca-Swiss Misura !
    A wondefull camera with the Orbix movment and in a leater ready case ! (in fact it looks like a purse ! It s the first time in my life I want a purse...)
    So brightly enginerred and so finelly made ! A joy to use and a pleasure to look at !

10. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The only thing I could wish for with my Shen Hao, would be a longer bellows for 300mm lens use. The rest seems to have held up pretty well in all respects. Curious about other's opinions for improvements, as mine still functions well. tim

P.S. The Ebony really is a nice camera, but at 5 or 6 times the cost, it should be!

11. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Longer bellows, more precise, more movements...

It's a pity that the Carbon Infinity is out of production. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2006
  12. borgida

borgida Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Basically, I have enjoyed my Shen Hao for the past few years but the camera is starting to fall apart. I have discovered what movements are most important to me. This is rise, fall, shift, and front tilt as I do contemporay landscape work.

The Shen Hao has been great. Has a lot of movements and many which I do not use. It is not very smooth to use and want something of better quality with smoother movements and only the movements that I need to reduce weight on the camera. Also, I never fold my camera up so I would prefer a non-folding camera.

The Shen Hao is an amazing first camera as it was considerably cheaper than the other cameras and had many differerent movements to explore which ones I needed to utilize.

Any thoughts of what cameras you recommend based on the above requirements?

Thanks
    Ross

13. borgida

borgida Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Also, only use a 150 and 210 lens. I do not use a lot of lenses and like to keep things simple.

Thanks
    Ross

14. Scott Peters

Scott Peters Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    What about a 300mm telephoto lens? Like the Fuji? That's what I use. Kill two birds.

15. Scott Peters

Scott Peters Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    ooops, sorry, that was for the bellows question. For smoothness of movements an arca swiss is probably the way to go. IF you've go the dough orbix is very nice. It is also non-folding. I own the Discovery, which is a great arca swiss for the money. But you can get the field camera with orbix. The non-folding nature with the arca ball head/quick release allows for very fast set up. You can leave a lens on the camera in this fashion too.

16. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second the vote for a Fuji 300T lens for the Shen Hao. I have one, and it is a fantastic performer for 4x5. I too am puzzled by the assertion that after four years someone's is falling apart. I've had mine for five plus, and I've used it pretty hard, not every day, but I've put it through some serious paces, including beaches, hiking at 9000', and deserts. You'd have a hard time telling mine from new, still. No, the Shen is not the smoothest focusing or most precise camera you can buy, but it's more than good enough for the money. I have used it for professional architecture shoots, and it was more than good enough for that. If you need more precision or smoothness than it offers, then you should be looking at a monorail with geared movements like a Sinar or an Arca-Swiss.

17. borgida

borgida Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Shen Hao 5x7

Nick

Have you used this camera at all? Any reviews?

Ross

18. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yup it's my main camera. Others here have it also. Currently they have two different 5x7 models. I'm not sure exactly what's changed with the newer model but I think the bellows are shorter and the camera lighter.

My model just works. Not sure what else there is to say. It's not the lightest option so if you're looking for super light it's not the choice. Good bellows range for both 5x7 and 4x5. Solid. But my longest lens is only 300mm so I've not used it at full extension. Full extension is around 600mm.

19. Ole

Shooter:
    Large Format
    ... Rise, fall, shift and front tilt, lightweight, possibly non-folding, more solid than a Shen-Hao...

Gandolfi has a second-hand Traditional 4x5" for sale now. I can vouch for the solidity of the Traditionals, at least. My 5x7" doesn't have front shift or swing, so I don't know how the stability would be affected by that addition.

It's not a low-cost camera. But it's remarkably smooth yet rugged - my 5x7" replaced a Technika III 5x7". The most noticable difference was in the weight!

20. borgida

borgida Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Gandolfi Traditional

Are you saying that the Gandolfi is heavier than the Linhof?

Ross

21. Ole

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No - it weighs about half. Or less. And is equally precise. :surprised:

22. Amund

Amund Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the new lightweight 5x7, some pics and first impression here