Urgh, funny spots on negatives ..

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by IloveTLRs, Feb 24, 2013.

1. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I've been doing only 120 film recently, and have had these funny spots show up on my negatives. I thought it might be the camera, but the spots have occurred with two different cameras now. Anyone know what the problem is? Steel reels, by the way, if that matters.

Attached Files:

2. 250swb

250swb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It doesn't look like a camera problem, rather a case of the edge not being evenly developed and something touching the film.

Steel reels shouldn't do this, the only thing I can think of off the top of my head is are you winding the film onto the reel emulsion side in, or emulsion side out? If emulsion side out the emulsion will be in contact with the reel, emulsion side in less so. But looking more closely I can see some streaking from the spots that runs across the film, so perhaps contamination?

Steve

3. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Thanks for the response!

Contamination as in developer > fixer contamination? I'm not using a stop bath, but rinsing for 30 seconds in running water and shaking thoroughly

4. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I not only see spots but streaks too.

Oops, already mentioned...

Streaks are typically a sign of an agition related issue.
    This may be absence of any agition (gravity streaks) or a localized over-development due to local turbulance.

In this case the shape makes one think of gravity streaks, but then I would rather expect min-density.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2013
  5. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's caused by the emulsion sticking to the reel in places, thus getting shielded from the chemistry.
    Refixing in a tray (assuming you've cut them into strips already) will take care of it.

OTH, I have never bothered and haven't noticed that it causes any problems, my oldest negs are only a few decade old now though, so we'll see...

6. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    But just film sticking to the reels won't explain those streaks.

7. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd try placing the film in a bath of fixer for few minutes and the streak goes away.

8. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any rust on the reels? Cheap stainless steel will rust.

9. rawhead

rawhead Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    My guess would be rust, too, or some other gunk on the inner side of the reels that hold the film, influencing the negative that is in immediate contact with the area. If you always spool your film more or less the same amount on your reel, spread out the film that has this problem and see if it's occuring in roughly the same place along the film. If so, spread out a roll of film (developed or undeveloped/bad film), mark the same location with pink marker, then spool it in the reel all the way to your usual amount. Find the place you marked, and with a magnifying glass, check the underside of the metal there for corrosion, etc. Take a toothbrush and give that spot a good brushing.

10. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think it's residue build up as well. Over time gelatin from the emulsion can possibly transfer over if using developer at higher temps. Also if you like to join 120 rolls with a section of tape for developing, the tape residue could come off and make that part sticky. I always use very hot water and a fine tooth brush to wash after every roll developed. After a while I will also use a bit of hot soapy water and do a more thorough cleaning.

11. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Thanks for the replies everyone. This is the reel I'm using, an LPL one that isn't that old. It looks clean, but I'll give it a scrub just in case.

Attached Files:

• Foto.JPG
      Foto.JPG
      File size:
      129.5 KB
      Views:
  12. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As said those streaks seem to be related to phases of no agitation. As may be in fixing and rinsing.
    Corrosion during fixing is the only cause I could think of, but I'm not convinced even by myself...

13. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    Yesterday I mixed a fresh 500ml of fix and used HC-110 (instead of D-76) and the spots were gone ... almost. I got one or two faint spots, thought not as bad as before. See the attached photo ...

Attached Files:

14. rawhead

rawhead Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Did you do the scrub, too? If so, it could've been that rather than different developer & fresh fixer.

15. henry finley

henry finley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If it's the black spotting and trailing on the edge of the film, I say it's the film-feeler wheel in a Rolleiflex, riding a bit tight. If you hit a piece of film with a hammer and develop it, this can happen.

16. IloveTLRs

IloveTLRs Member

Shooter:
    Sub 35mm
    I just finished that. I need to shoot & develop another roll to see if that's fixed the problem ..