US to UK APUG Gathering in Cornwall England

Discussion in 'UK All Regions' started by Andrew Moxom, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As there is no real place to ask this in the regional sub-forum, So I've placed it into the Miscellaneous section and now some of the regional sub-forums where there is usually a lot of activity.

At any rate, Last winter I was talking to a few folks at the MN sub zero winter gathering in Northern MN, and again at Bill Schwab's Photostock event in Michigan this summer. There is some interest in setting up an International trip to Cornwall England for a photographic tour of that region of the country. I am proposing setting up and leading a trip to that area of the country as I know it quite well from previous trips and because my family lives down there. I know of at least 4 current US based and 1 UK based APUG'ers that are willing to participate in this trip. I am opening it up for others to express their interest in meeting up and or tagging along for this excursion.

For the US contingent, I am thinking that a relatively easy sized group to manage would be no more than 12 people as we could split up into 3 vehicles allowing room for luggage and gear. Again this is all tentative at the moment. However, it does need to be looked at, thought over and prepared for by all interested parties to make sure expectations are understood. Logistically, this should be an easy trip, but making it so it fits peoples schedules, budgets, and what they hope to get out of it is where it becomes a potential minefield to plan around.

That said, I was thinking of a May/June timeframe in 2010, when Cornwall can be a wonderful place to explore at that time. No firm date and duration of trip is fixed yet at this time, and I will wait until I get a good feel of general interest before we move onto the hard part of selecting dates, locations to visit, places to stay etc.

I also realize that there are some current APUG'ers local to that neck of the woods and it would be good to see and meet them aswell as any other APUG'ers in the UK, Europe, or anywhere else for that matter participate in this gathering if they wish to tag along??

So with that said, please let me know if you are interested. Either respond to this thread, or PM me and I will start to generate a list of potential participants.

Fingers crossed this makes it off the ground, I am confident we can do this and I think it would be good opportunity for us to come away with some spectacular images.

Thanks

Andy

2. Mark Burley

Mark Burley Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Cornwall meet...

Hi Andrew,

Count me in... It would be good to meet up with you guys. I am fairly certain that a good many Brit APUGERS will feel the same.

Mark :smile:

3. John Bragg

John Bragg Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hi, Andrew.

It would be great to meet you all and I look foreward to hearing more about the proposed visit in due course.

Regards, John.

4. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If people are coming from the US for this, I may be able to make it from the Isle of Wight. It does mean getting on a boat and going to that scary big island to the north of us though!

Steve.

5. snallan

snallan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This sounds like a great idea for a meet, I would certainly like to meet up with some of you guys.

6. garri

garri Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would be interested in taking part, great part of the country too.
    Gari

7. Leon

Leon Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Andrew - we've already talked about this and I am still very keen ... obviously we'd need to look at non-school holidays dates as the place just gets completely gridlocked around then. I've found even May to be heavily congested with tourists and caravans. We usually go in late March and more often than not, the weather is fine with great light. However, whatever date you decide upon, I'd very much like to come along.

8. Neil Souch

Neil Souch Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Andrew,

Count me in please and if I can be of any assistance do let me know. Your timing is good as there will be less people about at that time of the year and the late spring / early summer light / weather is usually excellent. However, you may like to take into consideration the dates of our school holidays and half terms and avoid them if you can as durning such times some locations can get rather crowded! Also if you are planning any coastal work tides must be considered for safety and access reasons.
    This sounds a great idea and I look forward to seeing you all in 2010!

Cheers,

Neil.

9. Solarize

Solarize Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Sounds like a lot of fun. Please count me in for now, and if you need any help organising things then do get in touch.

Cheers,
    Ciaran

10. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If I had the money, I would love to do this and see where my Cornish ancestors lived.

11. N O Mennescio

N O Mennescio Member

Sounds lika a great idea. It's fairly easy to pop over from sweden.
    Let's se what dates you propose.

12. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Please count me in as tentatively interested. It's far enough in advance that I could possibly do this.

13. bill spears

bill spears Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks like you've started something here Andrew ! Think we'll have to open another lane on the Tammar bridge to get all these Appuggers in !

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, so far the list looks like this:-

From the US:-

Bill Schwab
    Ike Eisenlord
    Thomas Bertilsson
    Daniel Lin

From the UK:-

Bill Spears
    Mark Burley
    John Bragg
    Steve Smith
    Snallan
    garri
    Leon
    Neil Souch
    Solarize
    Chazzy
    Travis Nunn

From Sweden:-

No Mennescio

Certainly no shortage of names in the UK! I will need someone to coordinate with in the UK though as this visit seems to be quite popular with folks there.

Next item to decide upon are the dates. So will need someone from the UK to let me know school holidays etc as I know you guys get way more of those throughout the year, but less summer time off than the US folks. Two I can think of are Whitsun (1 x week) Easter (2 x weeks).

Cheapest airfare for US travelers flying to the UK is usually from Jan 6th through May and I am leaning towards March/April time frame in 2010 for the trip. Anyone have any better suggestions for dates?

Thanks

Andy

16. delphine

delphine Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Please count me in too :smile:

17. snallan

snallan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    With Easter being April 12 this year, the school break will probably run from the 4th April through to 19th April. And the Whitsun school break I think will be from 23rd May to the 7th June.

If nobody objects, I could help coordinate things from this end.

18. snallan

snallan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Forgot to mention that the May Day bank holiday is May 4th.

19. bill spears

bill spears Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As far as dates - late in the season ie: mid sept to late oct 2009 might be worth considering ? The weathers still warm, kids back to school and the light is good.
    It might be worth noting that our clocks change in the autumn and spring (not sure of the actual dates). This causes our days to become very short during the winter months and we lose daylight very early. As far as Easter goes, it changes every year and I'm not sure how far in advance the calenders tell us holidays etc ? Will do some searching for more info.

Willing to offer any help I can down in Cornwall

Bill

20. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  21. CarlRadford

CarlRadford Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great idea although I am not sure I can join in - Kerik Kouklis is scheduled to return in June 2010 and I will need to commit my precious holiday time to this. That said if plans change then I would be interested in a little wetplate making :smile:

22. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Strange I posted on this thread last night, and its disappeared since.

If I'm in the UK I'll be there, I have an ongoing project in Cornwall.

Ian

23. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, I'm interested... We'll see what happens as next year comes around. I'll be in school still (I'm an adult student) and have a lot to coordinate. If I take online classes that quarter I might be able to make it if I end up somewhere with internet connectivity.

Thanks for pulling this together, Andy! I normally think of it as luxury to go somewhere else to photograph. But it sure adds spice, doesn't it?!

- Thomas

24. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ian, as there was no right place for it on the regional forum, there are two threads open. One for the UK regional page and the other on the Great Lakes regional page.

25. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ian, Andy posted this twice, but once in the wrong forum and I suspect moved it here for a more logical place to find it.
    - Thomas

26. Andrew Moxom

Andrew Moxom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As there was no logical place for it, it was copied to the great lakes forum and the UK forum as most of the interest stateside was from folks on GL forum.