use 120 film in 220 RB back?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by BetterSense, May 30, 2011.

1. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is there any way to load 120 film in the 220 RB67 Pro backs? I have an 220 back and I've been trying to decide what to do with it since I can't buy 220 film anymore. It would be useful if I could load 120. I know some cameras had different pressure plate settings, but the backing paper is so thin, I can hardly imagine it making a difference in focus.

2. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have done it before, it's fine. Main thing is the counter may screw up, but it's no big deal. Just try it with some film you don't care about too much, the first time, and check it out.

3. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  4. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My fried Hae Ran does it all the time. She shoots nothing but 120, but only has a 220 back.

What you don't want to do is do it the other way around: 220 in a 120 back. The pressure plate will not hold the film firmly against the gate.

Why can't you get 220 any more?

I'd just get a 120 insert (or a whole 120 back) eventually, considering how cheap they can be.

5. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    lol Reading some comments in CGW's link, I get the impression that some think the Earth will be thrown off axis if somebody dares venture a little off the prescribed path. Look, you can run 35mm film through your rb backs too. Go nuts, live a little :wink:

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Great, eh? Such an adventuresome crew! Recalled why I bailed on PN several years ago.

8. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Is it possible to buy a 120 insert for my 220 back, then?

I can't get 220 film because they don't make it anymore. Except that newfangled colorizing stuff.

9. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, to arrive at a 120 back from what you have now, all you need is the insert (and a way to protect the other insert from damage when you are not using it). A whole back may not be that much more expensive, though.

10. markbarendt

markbarendt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do this regularly. Works fine, just remember when the counter reads 11 you are done.

11. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    True. 120 Pro S backs usually aren't too pricey. They do often need their light seals replaced(usually the hinge and clasp seals are all that's bad)but it's an easy DIY fix.
    120 inserts are kinda hard to find these days. Try to find one that's not had 100s of miles of film run thru it--telltale is missing paint off the advance lever, shell, and scratches all over the plastic of the insert.

12. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Unlike the Mamiya 645 backs and inserts, the RB backs and inserts are 90% the insert and 10% the rest. So I wouldn't expect inserts to be significantly cheaper than entire backs.

13. hpulley

hpulley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can still get Tri-X 320 220 rolls if you look hard.