Used Camera shops in NYC

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by geoffdodd, Jul 15, 2012.

1. geoffdodd

geoffdodd Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello,
    I'll be in New York City later this week (Upper West Side) and was wondering if there's any good used camera shops still in existence.

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Lens and Repro, 33 W. 17th St.

B&H and Adorama also have used equipment

3. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm always wary of NYC camera shops. I remember haggling was a prerequisite in the past, not sure now. Plus is though you get to handle the cameras before you buy them. But it's hard to get any true deals vs online/ craigslist.

4. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    There is a good market for used equipment in New York, so the prices are higher than KEH.com or eBay, but you can also find some interesting things that are hard to find elsewhere. If you want a Graflex SLR in good working order, L&R has several, but it'll cost you.

5. paul ron

paul ron Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    As an out of towner, you won't have the luxury of bring it back to the store for a face to face if anything is wrong with the camera you bought. I'd sugest sticking to KEH just for their return policy n reputation.

But be sure to stop in B&H for the shopping experiance, n bring plenty of money with you... it is a photorapher's candy store.

6. geoffdodd

geoffdodd Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks for this. I'm an online regular at BH and Adorrama, but have not heard of Lens and Repro. Will be sure to check it out.

7. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lens & Repro is only open weekdays, but well worth the visit if you can make it in. Adorama and B&H are both worth a visit for the used department - lately I've been seeing some real bargains at Adorama for some reason. B&H is an absolute cultural experience, a must-see. If you're there during the week, you could also try Eli Kurland (mostly high-end stuff like Leica and Hasselblad). There's also Fotocare which is near Adorama, and Calumet (although I don't know what their used department is like these days).

8. David A. Goldfarb

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Good folks at Fotocare--always pleasant to deal with.

9. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree that B&H is a must-visit. Very impressive.

Adorama has excellent service, even if it is a little less spectacular... and also well worth visiting.

10. Newt_on_Swings

Newt_on_Swings Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    After the recent remodel the used film camera section at adorama is now a tiny corner instead down the left wall. I just dropped by for some acros 120. Can you believe they don't have individual rolls? The dude at the counter was kinda rude too telling me this was the only way they sold it always (in pro packs or opened from a pro pack). Blah I'm not new to this film game man blatant lying to my face. Eh I was in the area so I bought the 10 rolls anyway. B&h would have had them as singles (which carry better as individual rolls and are more insulated to light and damage).

I'd say skip adorama, b&h used section is about 4-5x larger. Better service too.

11. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Newt- Adorama has a huge used inventory, just not a lot of it on display. When I was in there, I had a very pleasant salesman in the used department. Nothing I purchased was on display - they had to call it up from downstairs. If you're looking for something specific, go to their website and check their stock before going in.