Used system for about $250?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Josh Harmon, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Josh Harmon

Josh Harmon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello !

2. Ektagraphic

Ektagraphic Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Are you asking about a used MF system for about $250? In my opion the best system for this price range would be the Mamiya M645 system with a M645 1000S. Awesome camera with great optics! Very well built.

3. fotch

fotch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    M645 1000S, awesome camera.

4. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am willing to sell a 1950's Kodak Brownie Hawkeye for $250. It is after all a Medium Format camera! :D :D :D :D

Steve

5. NJS

NJS Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Ken Rockwell shots with Kodak Brownie ;O

6. Two23

Two23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've been using a Kodak Brownie Hawkeye, vintage 1959, for the past six weeks. I really like the results. Some of the best shots I've taken this year came from it.

Kent in SD

7. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I offer a choice for MF. Ifyou like 6x6, then I have a DuaflexII ihat is a very light weight, fairly compact TLR with decent optics(f8/72mm Kodar). However, if 6x9 floats yer boat, step right up to my Kodak Tourist II. Its a folder, but accurate shutter and clean optics (f6.3/105mm Kodak Anaston)insures super sharp negatives (8 on a roll of 120), and only slightly heavier than the Duaflex. Either camera would be more than adequate for entry level through advanced levels of photography.
    It seems that these last couple of posts have a common thread. I believe we are all telling you that you dont need to have a super hi-tech camera to take great photos, its all about you, and what you decide to show the rest of us(your vision). There are no magic bullets, only good basic sound skills.

8. ozphoto

ozphoto Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My 6x9 Kodak Junior is superb - and it cost me much less than $250. Of course it's a folder so no range of lenses, but works great for my landscape and architectural photography that I want to produce a little differently than my usual work.

9. AgentX

AgentX Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mamiya TLR, C3 or C220 or maybe even a 330, with one or two lenses. Or one of the many 645 system cameras. Or Bronica SLRs. Rolleicord or old Automat, Yashicamat, Minolta Autocord if you don't need interchangeable lenses. A high-quality folding camera with a rangefinder, possibly, but you're then dealing with possible bellows issues and fairly slow handling.

If you're moving to medium format specifically for image quality and want faster handling than your 2x3 Graflex, I wouldn't recommend using an antique or any of the box or toy cameras. Not that they're not great--I own several and shot many of my favorite images with a few-but they're not going to be the same as a camera that offers relatively fast, precise, and reliable focus and exposure controls.

10. waynecrider

waynecrider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think it's going to come down to either the Mamiya or Bronica line for you in interchangeable lens bodies or you could perhaps go for a TLR in Mamiya for less. Check KEH.com and shop.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 9, 2010
  11. R gould

R gould Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    amongst my collection I have an Ikonta B with the nova lens, cost me 29GBP, works wonderfully for landscape/portrait work,good as anything else I use,folder of course, don't look for the expensive options, sometime a cheapie will be just as good,Richard

12. srs5694

srs5694 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    An observation: The range of suggestions in this thread is extreme, and although every suggestion has merit for some users, chances are that many of these suggestions would not suit Josh, the OP. I think that he needs to specify what he wants to help narrow things down. Some specific questions that can help:

• Do you want/need interchangeable lenses?
    • What format do you want? (645, 6x6, 6x7, etc.)
    • Do you want/need other specific features, such as a self-timer, WLF, prism finder, built-in meter, etc.?
    • Will you be carrying the camera around (hikes in the woods, say) or using it closer to home (studio shoots, for instance)?
    • Do you have a preference for basic type (folder, rangefinder, SLR, TLR, etc.)?
    • Are there specific types of photography you plan to do? (Landscapes, portraits, street shooting, macros, animals, etc.) The answer to this question alone might narrow the field quite a bit.

Even if you don't know the answer to all these questions, try answering those that you can. The result will probably be that many of the suggestions offered will drop away as unsuitable for your specific needs. For instance, if you need interchangeable lenses, that eliminates everything but SLRs and Mamiya C-series TLRs, AFAIK. OTOH, if you need something light and compact, a folder might be the best choice.

13. AgentX

AgentX Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    True, but we're all going off a post that reads, in its entirety, "Hello!" so I think we're doing alright with our rampant speculation.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. photomat-

photomat- Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    For that kind of money you can get a nice Bronica ETRS or Mamiya 645. Check Keh.com for those two cameras. If a fixed lens doesn't bother you then a Yashica TLR or even a Rolleicord is doable on that budget.

Me, I gambled and bought a used Yashica D from eBay from a "I don't know much about cameras" type. I got lucky and got one in working condition. Later when I picked up a Rolleiflex Automat the same way, my luck wasn't as good. It worked fine for a few rolls then the shutter started sticking on the slow speeds. Mr. Ebel sorted that out for me by replacing the main spring but it cost me $170 on top of the $100 I paid for it. This can of course happen with any old camera you buy. Buying from a place gives a 60 day warranty or better is advisable.

16. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello to you too! Did you have a question, or were you just sayin' hi?

17. NJS

NJS Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mamiya 645 1000s, best buy.

18. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It won't be if you fools keep suggesting it on the Internet!!! :wink:

19. guitstik

guitstik Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I found a Mamiya RB67 Pro SII with a prism finds ( non metered) and a 50 lens for $225.00. Nice camera.

20. elekm

elekm Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Probably something Japanese or Soviet. I'd go Japanese on this one. Put away some more money in case it needs to be serviced. At the least, it might need new foam seals (depending on the camera).

21. NJS

NJS Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    true.
    okay, camera is GREAT, but Sekor lenses are just awful, DON'T BUY IT, they suck big time, get a hassy zeiss instead! :tongue:

22. Robert Budding

Robert Budding Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Silly post. A budget with no other information. Who cares if the OP doesn't know what he wants to do?

23. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    true.
    okay, camera is GREAT, but Zeiss lenses are just awful, DON'T BUY IT, they suck big time, get a Mamiya 645 1000s with Sekor lenses instead! :tongue:

:D

24. DLawson

DLawson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I asked about that at Best Buy, but they just looked at me funny.

25. Josh Harmon

Josh Harmon Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK first off wow... I would never think I would have gotten so many helpful suggestions, thanks!!

What I am looking for is a interchangeable lens system with wide angle to standard lens. 645, 6x7,6x8, 6x9 are fine although 645 is cheaper.

I also want a metered system as in I dont have a light meter (My digital camera is my lightmeter).

I was thinking in a Pentax 645n system, they are relatively cheap at adorama.

**Also I think this is a double post, there is another thread just like this.

Thanks

-Josh

26. NJS

NJS Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    yes, get the Pentax, forget about junk from Mamiya & Bronica. ;O