Using a 2-prong projector in North America

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by Removed Account, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Removed Account

Removed Account Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Apparently I have the best landlords in the world, because not only may I get the use of a Hasselblad (currently on loan to the landlady's uncle) But I was mentioning that I had taken some slides of her garden and she gave me a projector she had laying around, a Reflecta Diamator AF. She bought it new in Hong Kong 8 years ago and had never used it. After thanking her profusely I went and read the manual, everything seemed normal. Thankfully it has a voltage switch for 220, 130, 240, and 110. I'm pretty sure 110 is the usual North American household standard so I have it set to that. Going to plug it in, I discover that the plug is a 2 prong, and after a bit of googling I think it is a standard European plug.

My question is, to get it to run properly would I need to find some sort of prong adapter without the voltage adapter bit? I'm thinking I may have a hard time finding a Europlug-NEMA 5-15 adapter in North America, but since Nanaimo has a large population of immigrants and students from Asia this may be easier than I think. Also, despite the voltage switch can I expect any problems providing I have the appropriate adapter?

I've never heard of Reflecta before, and it seems to be a normal consumer-grade projector but if anyone can provide more information I'd be very appreciative. If it helps the lens is labelled Agomar 1:2.8 90mm MC, Made in Germany. Is there a standard mount for projector lenses (this is a tube with a single spiral groove in it) so that I can purchase a better lens if need be, or would I have to find something specific to Reflecta?

Thanks, as always, for the help!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2008
  2. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Radio Shack has adaptors for almost all countries. Unfortunately, they come in one blister pack of about 5 or so and the cost is therefore higher than desired.

PE

3. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Radio shack Canada is now the Source. A true waste of a name and a shop.

Plug adapters are pretty common. If the unit handles 110V then that's all you need. If you want to drive to Toronto I can tell you the place to buy one -) About $2 for a pair. One North America to Europe. One going the other way.

4. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Justin:

I'm smiling as I type this.

You may find that London Drugs has (or can order) some adapters - try the shaver department or the camera department. :smile:

Matt

5. Kilgallb

Kilgallb Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The source has individual adaptors. they cost about $10 bucks

6. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Did she give it to you? Have the plug cut off and a new one put on?

7. Removed Account

Removed Account Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yup Matt, got one :D I'm going to do a trial run tonight, I just have to find some sort of screen. I've got some pre-stretched 16x20 canvas I can paint over in Titanium White for a mini-screen in the meantime. Nick, are you referring to Pacific Mall or the videostore of questionable legitimacy at Highway 7 and Woodbine? :tongue:

8. pkrentz

pkrentz Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    projector screen

just a white sheet make a good screen. Pat:D

9. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nah it's a chain of surplus and new shop. Some of the stuff is way overpriced but little things like plug adapters are easy to find and reasonable.