Using a flash on old camera (Yashica Mat 124)

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by timbo10ca, Nov 3, 2008.

1. timbo10ca

timbo10ca Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi- I was wondering how I would use my ultra modern Canon 580EXII Speedlight with my ultra dated Yashica. I know I have to plug into the X sync (assuming it's working), but with what kind of cord????

Thanks,
    Tim

2. nemo999

nemo999 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. aparat

aparat Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You should be able to just use a standard PC cable. I use my Nikon SB800 flash with my TLR via a PC cord. I often set the flash to Auto and enter the aperture value into the flash. The flash then delivers the right amount of exposure almost every time. You can, of course, also work in full manual mode. You can even use a remote trigger, such as a Pocket Wizard, and fire your flash wirelessly, which is what I often do.

4. Martin Aislabie

Martin Aislabie Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I use a standard PC cord to my Metz.

Make sure the camera is set to X (not FP? - I think thats what the alternative is labelled)

Martin

5. JMC1969

JMC1969 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Too strange, I came here today to ask a very similar question. I borrowed a Metz 45 CL-4 to shoot with my Yashica-Mat LM. used a PC cord, set to "x" and dialed in the ISO and aperture on the flash. As I was shooting, all looked great and seemingly working fine. I processed my Velvia 100F late yesterday and took a look this morning. There are images, but extremely dark. Without a loop you would think it was just black. I believe I was set on 1/50 speed, but I was under the impression that if a Yashica TLR was set to "x" it would sync at all speeds. This this so?

6. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yup, it should sync at any speed as long as the shutter is set to "X".
    When the camera's empty look through the lens to see if the flash is going off with the shutter open. You should see a bright circle at whatever aperture you've set.

7. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What where you photographing? Extremes can and will fool the sensor [Too light will lead to too little light. Too dark backgrounds will lead to too much]

Then there is distance. You weren't too far away?

8. JMC1969

JMC1969 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    John, I will try that when I get home.

Nick, I was taking shots of Halloween guests at my party Friday night. Filling the frame with the 80mm that is on the TLR. Some inside shots with colored lighting and some outdoor shots, sheet light lit. F4, F5.6,F8 on varying shots. I have two rolls of B&W 400 I have not processed yet and wondering if I should push judging from the Velvia.

9. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    At F/4 unless you set the film speed wrong I can't imagine the flash not having enough power. Unless they were all wearing white sheets like Casper.

10. timbo10ca

timbo10ca Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks all- I'll look for a PC cord then.

11. sagepunk

sagepunk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Problems firing with SB800 and Yashica Mat 124G

I'm new to this group. I'm also new to Medium Format as I recently purchased a Yashica Mat 124G and I'm trying to use my Nikon SB800 flash unit with it. From everything I've read using a simple PC cord should work fine, as long as the camera is set to X for flash mode, and the SB800 is set to anything other than TTL mode. I ordered and received a PC cord and tested it with no film in the camera, and it seemed to work fine, but once I got a bracket for it and tried to use it with film in the camera, the flash would intermittently not fire. I've tried lots of different settings on both the camera and the flash and the problem persists. Once I take the film out and test it again, the flash fires every time. Any insight on the cause would be greatly appreciated!

12. sagepunk

sagepunk Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

I've just solved my own problem. When using the SB800 Speedlight with the standby mode set to Auto, the flash unit goes into standby after each exposure. When using it with a Nikon DSLR, autofocusing takes the flash out of standby and readies it to fire. This is not the case when using it with a TLR and a simple PC cord. Once I went into the flash settings and turned standby mode off so that the unit was always on, the unit fires every time. The reason why it "seemed" like it was working with no film in the camera was because I was testing it by releasing the camera shutter several times in quick succession, whereas when there was film in the camera I was waiting a few minutes between exposures, allowing the flash to go into standby. It seems like a no brainer, I know, but I guess when you go from a fully automatic DSLR to a totally manual TLR, sometimes simple things can escape you. I'm just really glad I have it working now!

13. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I had the same issue with my SB28. Keep it off standby mode unless using it on a modern Nikon.

14. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    yashica mat is old? :tongue:

15. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    42 years could be considered old. When I started in photography a 42 year old Ermanox was not only "old" but was a museum piece as well.

16. urbantarzan

urbantarzan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi guys,
    Not the same type of camera in the discussion, but can someone tell me where the PC port is on a Mamiya C220? Also, what type of PC cord do i need to connect to an SB900? Should it be a doubble male?

17. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The PC "ports" for all the Mamiya TLRs are on each of the various TLR lenses - each of the lenses includes a leaf shutter..

The cord would have to have the standard "female" PC connector on the camera end. I am not familiar with an SB900, so cannot advise about the connector at that end.

18. drumlin

drumlin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes double male pc cord should do it for the sb900.

19. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think I may have confused male PC with female PC :smile:

20. drumlin

drumlin Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Gender confusion and flashers. Not that there's anything wrong with that... :D

21. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When did "jacks" become "ports" ?

22. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am not sure but I think it began with the computer. Computer has mostly ports and very few jacks but people like to call them ports too.

23. urbantarzan

urbantarzan Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks a bunch guys, will report back when I get a cord with the right male "jacks" on each end and shoot something.

24. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those aren't jacks. They are plugs, or connectors. Jacks are mounted on the equipment and are typically female, plugs/connectors are on the ends of a wire and are typically male. "Ports" are often located in harbors, also in cylinder heads.:tongue::wink:

25. mbsmith

mbsmith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    All this talk of jacks makes my ports hurt :blink:

But seriously, thanks for the info. I've been interested in rigging my SB800 with a Bronica SQ-A.