Using a Jobo ALT-2?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by DavePEI, Jan 5, 2008.

1. DavePEI

DavePEI Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi All:

I have just purchased a Jobo Alt-2 processor, and would like to get in touch with others using the same processor in hopes of being able to learn from them - hints, repair information, etc. etc.

Mine has a couple of (hopefully) minor problems which I will tackle when it arrives, but meanwhile, am trying to learn more about it, and with luck, and probably a little help, am looking forward to automated film and print processing. I would have loved to go for a newer model, but a limited budget limited what I could afford.

I still have no tanks for use with it, but have placed an ad in the Classified section to see what members might have to spare.

So, I guess this is a bit of a fact-finding mission - as much as anything to learn who is using an ALT-2 successfully!

Thanks,

Dave

2. Raphael

Raphael Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello Dave,

I have not quite an ATL-2 but the older ATL-1, which have a lot of common things with his younger brother, believing the pictures I have found on the net.

I got this Jobo for free, with some other things (docs, a 3000 tank, spare flasks, etc) when a friend's corporate photoclub decides that they don't need analog gears anymore.

The processor is well used, a little dirty, and I currently gradually setting up in working order. I have to change the RAM backup battery, yet.

The main problem is when I checked rinse water temperature out of the Jobo drain, it was far away over the processing bath temp, especially during the last rinse rounds.

I think it come I connected directly the Jobo hot water supply on the home hot water line, for the moment, and during the last rinse phases, water becomes too hot that the ATL-1 can control.

Are you using a temp control tap (or something else) on the hot water supply, before your ATL-2 ?

Best regards,

Raphael

3. DavePEI

DavePEI Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Raphael:

I am still waiting for my processor to arrive, and still looking for a print drum and cogs for it - may the mail Gods keep it safely on the way!

I will be using it with a temperature control valve as discussed in the following thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum43/44482-darkroom-water-temp-control.html

I don't yet have my manual, as it is coming in the box with the processor tank and I have been unable to find an ATL-1 or ALT-2 downloadable manual, but I am wondering if your plumbing is correctly connected, as it seems unlikely the temperature should rise that much during processing. I am wondering about the cold water supply line, and whether it is being mixed properly. Perhaps someone currently using a similar processor could comment on this. Perhaps this is the reason people use these with temperature control valves.

I imagine I will have to change the RAM backup in mine, too. It also apparently is showing a code 3 error (air leak, I think) which I will have to diagnose before using it. It could simply be as little as a leaking hose, bottle connection, or a problem in the air distributing system - hopefully I will find it easily repairable.

So, I can't personally advise you - at least not for now until the unit arrives, but have to get my mits into mine when it arrives and may have an idea once I have played with it for a while!

Dave

4. Raphael

Raphael Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Dave,

I have to check it, but maybe I have a drum of the 2800 serie which I can get rid off. But I am not sure that shipping cost from France to Canada will not exceed the price of a used tank itself from North america :sad:
    Are the Ebay prices still prohibitive ?

Interesting, thanks you.

I read again the given documentation for the ATL-1, and saw, in a page corner, that hot water supply should be provided through a mixer, and temp should not exceed the wash water temp more than 5°C. For the moment, I plan to try an inexpensive shower tap mixer, but I have to play the plumber to modify my current installation.

Thanks for your reply,

Raphael

5. DavePEI

DavePEI Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Raphael:

That is good. I still don't have my manual, but the head unit for mine arrived this morning, so I can get a start on cleaning it up, etc....

What I ended up getting for the mixing valve was a Leonard model 210 water mixing valve and it seems to work well with the filter, etc.

No luck on eBay - there have been lots of film tanks on, but no paper drums, so it has been quite frustrating trying to find one used.

Dave

6. Raphael

Raphael Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Dave,

Are you looking for 28xx drums (the smaller one) or for the Expert (3000 serie ?) big drum ?
    Here is a link to the Jobo catalogue for print drums :
    http://www.jobo.com/jobo_service/us...misc_tank_and_drum_capacities.htm#Print Drums

These are a few auctions on Ebay (some ending in three hours, sorry) :
    http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=310013350765
    (A film drum obviously, but the cog lid and body are interesting)
    And the followings
    http://cgi1.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MakeTrack&item=310013357340
    and another from the same seller.

A complete set of 2800 :
    http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=150201724215

I will send you a PM as soon as I know what I have exactly in my basement.

Best regards,

Raphael