Using below the lens color filters for RA4 printing - a viable option?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Jeff Bannow, Sep 20, 2010.

1. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So, are below the lens color filters a reasonable option in this day and age? I see that Freestyle has a set available for a reasonable price. Any other manufacturers still out there?

The light source would be flourescent cold light, and we'd like to be able to print to RA-4 color paper. For various reasons, a color head is not an option.

2. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Flourescent may need different than usual for RA-4 filtration.

When I printed with acetate in a beselar 23 with ep/2 and ra4there were four to five filters in the filter pack at times. This could be a challenge if they were below the lens. The possibility of fewer filters exists if you go with a strong filter set. Mine only ran up to 50, so say 95M 60Y, which was not too unusual on some older paper I used, would be into 50M,40M,5M, 50Y, 10Y

3. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Some details on the particular issue that we're dealing with - we would like to optically print Seitz Roundshot 220VR negatives. The negative is 120 film, but 14" or longer depending on the shot. This is beyond an 8x10 enlarger, and maybe even beyond an 11x14 enlarger. I don't really see a color 11x14 enlarger as very practical, even if I could find one - which I doubt I can.

So, the options are most likely leaning towards an Aristo head or something of the kind homemade (maybe just a 24" fluorescent bulb with some plexi underneath to diffuse the light). This leads to fluorescent. Unless someone can build a custom dichroic head for cheap! :smile:

4. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Consider looking to the Rosco catalog for a base filter of red to cover the whole neg and then lay 6x6 actetates edge to edge along the area above the negative? Just a thought.

5. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Do you have a link? I was looking for them the other day and couldn't find them. I have an Aristo cold light head on my enlarger; does that mean I can't use normal filters?

6. Jeff Bannow

Jeff Bannow Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not sure if you can use normal filters or not, but here's the link to the color printing filters that I found:

3x3 color filters

They also come in 6x6.

7. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format