using calcium salts or vitamin d

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by razocaine_07, Mar 2, 2013.

1. razocaine_07

razocaine_07 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was wondering if either calcium salts or vitamin d would have any adverse effects when used alongside a developer, fixer or stopping agent? As im not a chemist Im unsure if these two ingrediants would cause any adverse reactions? (fumes, violent reactions etc)

2. dmb

dmb Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Slightly puzzled at first by question, wondering why you would add food supplements to photographic chemicals. Are you trying to use Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) as an ingredient in a developer and only have multivitamin tablets? Food grade calcium slats are usually carbonates and so are are alkaline, not a problem with developers but would bubble (CO2) in acid fixer, vitamin D is a fatty acid based compound, so not easily dissolved or very reactive in dilute solutions. If this is in tablet form there will also be bulking agents, often sugars, inert materials and waxes used in coatings which would cloud or mark film or paper.

For ascorbate based developers (Caffenol) I use pure vitamin C from the Holland and Barrett Health shop so no problem with added materials. £6.69 for 170g or £18.99 for 567g -is faily pricey compared to bulk ascorbic acid but convenient.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2013
  3. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Calcium forms too many insoluble salts like calcium carbonate or calcium sulfite to be of use in photography.

Do you mean vitamin C? Vitamin D is fat soluble and would cause problems.

4. razocaine_07

razocaine_07 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Apologies, I should have better explained the reasons behind my wanting to use these materials. I'm currently doing a project on vascular dementia and the ways in which the illness 'calcifies' parts of the brain over a prolonged period of time. I was just wanting to make sure that adding calcium salts or vitamin d didnt cause any adverse reactions.