Using cold-tone or warm-tone when using spotpen?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by brummelisa, Sep 21, 2007.

1. brummelisa

brummelisa Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi,

I don't want to totally waste my money and wonder if I should use the cold-tone or warm-tone when buying spotpen.

I use Kentmere VC Fiber and develop it in Tetenal Variospeed W (which is a warm-tone developer).

The images is not warm, but defenatly not cold.
    So my question is: Is the warm-tone spotpen really warm (almost yellow)?

Since I live in Sweden a set costs $70 (include shipping), so I just don't want to cross my finger and order one of the two.

/ Marcus

2. ChuckP

ChuckP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I bought used both a normal and warm toned set. Maybe mine are off but I find that the warm toned set will not match any of my warm toned papers. Too warm. I even find the color of the normal set slightly warmish. I'm still playing with the pens but so far I like my old Spotone system better. Much easier to match color.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Frances Schultz (see our website) says that the neutral works better (we have both) in the vast majority of cases, almost certainly including yours: the warmtone tends to be reddish. There is no cooltone, though: just neutral and warm.

She uses them all the time, and they last half-way to forever: she no longer uses anything else for spotting. They are harder to get used to than either dyes or pigments, but offer the advantages of both once you have mastered them.

4. Dave Miller

Dave Miller Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I concur with Roger over the use of the neutral tone pens, although I do still use spotone (sp?) for my warmer toned prints. As ever with spotting I rely on disguising the mark rather than getting a perfect match. These pen sets come up on eBay on a regular basis, there are, I think, a couple of sets on the UK site at the moment.

5. JanaM

JanaM Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Dear Marcus,

you can get them new from www.phototec.de in Germany.

I use them exclusively. I prefer the neutral tone.

Best regards,
    Jana