Using colour negatives for PT printing?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by gr82bart, Dec 19, 2005.

1. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Has anyone ever used a colour negative for PT (or any other alternative process) printing?

I want to give it a try, but I want to know what the affect and effect is - exposure times, formulation of the sensitizer, look of the final print, anything else.

Thanks, Art.

2. clay

clay Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Never tried it, but with an orange negative base.... It is likely to filter most if not all the UV light. I would be prepared for some VERY long exposures.

3. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Most all color films today contain UV absorbing layers. Not good for UV exposure.

Then too, you have to factor in the UV induced fade, especially at the intensities and times you would probably use.

By the end of your first exposure, your negative might have lost a bit of density due to dye fade.

PE

4. donbga

donbga Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Art,

I think you will be wasting your time and material going this route. As Clay and PE have pointed out the orange base is likely to filter UV light pretty strongly. Also I don't think color negatives will have enough contrast to print well with palladium printing.

I've never tried it so I'm only speculating. Why don't you give it a try and let us know how well it works.

Don Bryant

5. Kerik

Kerik Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had someone try printing palladium with color negs in one of my workshops once. He got an image, but it sucked big time. The tonal relationships were all wrong and the print was weak and lifeless. Don't know what film he used. You'd be better off scanning the color negs, then going the digital neg route.

6. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK I've got another question. Does transparency film have the same UV absorbing layer? I ask this question 'cause I have several cross processed negatives which are really slides.

Thanks, Art.

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You could dupe the slides to Type 55 Polaroid negs using your Daylab (it's 4x5" isn't it?). Increase the processing time for extra contrast for pt/pd.