Using Hasselblad EV Lense Setting Scale

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by hortense, Jul 6, 2005.

1. hortense

hortense Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Reportedly Hasselblad lenses can be set so the shutter speeds and f/stops can be adjusted in pairs to facilitate use of the EV scale (haven't figured out how to do this yet)? Does this mean that the EV value from the spot meter can be set here? If so, how useful do you Hasselblad shooters find this feature – and, how many really use it?

2. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes, it coincides with the EV values on the meter.

On the aperture setting ring, there is, to the immediate right of the widest aperture (clockwise, as seen from the rear), a "tab" for getting a good grip in setting the aperture. IN this tab, there is another tab - a sub-tab. If this sub-tab is NOT depressed, the aperture ring is independent of the shutter speed ring; If depressed, both rings are locked together at a given EV stop.

FAR easier to demonstrate than write about.

I confess that I don't use the EV system much, but I do use this locking tab ... it is now nearly a subconscious action.

3. Kevin Caulfield

Kevin Caulfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't really look at the EV value on the meter, but just set the pairing to the appropriate f/stop for the depth of field I'm after, and the metered shutter speed. It is then extremely convenient to just turn the ring to vary the f/stop (as long as the light doesn't change from the original metering).

4. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Actually, I just started using this function along with a zone system dial found here:
    http://www.darkroomagic.com/ (go to the 'BOOK' link, and scroll down to "How to Build and Use a Zone Dial.")

Here's a link to a pretty nice illustration of the EV ring... I don't know which Hasselblad you've got, but I can't imagine them moving this around too much! :wink:
    http://www.urmonas.net/manuals/500cm/500cm-10.jpg

Hope this helps!

5. hortense

hortense Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Ed, Kevin & BWGirl,
    Thanks for the input. I am still trying to get on top of the this camera. BWGirl, I have the link you gave printed but it is hard to read on my tube as well as from my old LaserJet II printer. However, I should be recieving Ernst Wildi's book (5th edition) in a couple of days. Meanwhile, I am really enjoying the quality of this camera, in particular, the reduced weight compared to my LF. The 500 C/M will get me off the road further so my fellow photographer may quit calling me a "roadkill photographer".

6. NikoSperi

NikoSperi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love that feature! I have my meter permanently set to read EVs, and set the pair on the lens. FWIW, the functioning depends on what type of lens you have. The older lenses had a tab to uncouple the shutter and aperture rings. If left alone, you always kept the same EV. The newer lenses (from CF on I think) have a button you need to press to couple the two rings so they turn together.

And now a related question for our more knowledgeable members here. Anyone know why the EV numbers on the lens go up to 21 when the highest you can actually set is EV 18 (1/500th @ f/22)?

7. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hmm. Never thought of that before. EV 21 would be 1/2000th @ f/32 ...???

The aperture rings appear to be identical on all three Hasselblad lenses I own - the 50mm, 80mm, and 150mm. The 150 can be set to EV 19 ... the smallest aperture being f/32.

Possibly Prontor/ Zeiss decided to "standardize" on one aperture ring, allowing for future shutter improvements ... ???

8. NikoSperi

NikoSperi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I thought of that. But that would imply that somewhere out there exists a Zeiss that either hits 1/2000th shutter speed (which I think would be a record for a nodal plane shutter) or stops down to f/64... all without losing the Bay60 external dimension. Didn't find an answer in Wildi... just curious. I'm usually banging around the EV4 area anyway... (so if 1sec at f/4 is EV 4, I need 76 secs...)

9. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not necessarily that one exists NOW ... but that one MIGHT exist at some time in the future. Could happen.

10. BWGirl

BWGirl Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hm... maybe it was to give us something to think about! :wink: haha :D

hortense... if you want, I can email you a jpeg of that dial. It's a dandy gizmo! I have the 500 c/m, too. I love it dearly! :cool:

11. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I can set EV numbers on my Voigtlander Vitessa-L, and I like it. I usually just set the EV from my Gossen Digisix and pick the aperture for the DOF that I want (without letting the shutter speed get out of hand).

12. Murray@uptowngallery

Murray@uptowngallery Member

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Um, Cold War relict? Maybe they actually DID anticipate a light source that bright...

Could EV21 and the other off-the-charts settings just be full capability to bracket or place an exposure in both directions for something perhaps like f/22-32 and 1/500 (EV 18-19 + 2 - 3 more+ ?

13. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Not necessarily "light that bright"; could be in anticipation of fast film speeds: Using the "Sunny 16" rule, EV 21 would be 1/4000th second @ f/16 - just where one would be with ISO 4000 film in bright daylight.

14. hortense

hortense Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Dial

Thank you, this would be appreciated.

15. McCarthy

McCarthy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think that the answer is that these lenses also work on FC Hasselblads like my 2000FC which has a shutter speed of 1/2000.