Using Mamiya Extension Tubes...

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by images39, Dec 26, 2011.

1. images39

images39 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,

When I purchased a Mamiya 654 Pro last year, three extension tubes were included. They're marked (from shortest to longest): No. 1, No. 2, and No. 3-S. I am not familiar with the use of extension tubes, but am interested in using them to allow closer focusing with some of my lenses (80mm 1.9, 110mm, and 150mm).

Is each lens ideally matched with one particular extension tube? Will the longer extension tubes allow closer focusing than the shorter ones? Are certain tubes incompatible with certain lenses?

Thanks for any help with this.

Dale

2. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The tubes can be used with any lens that'd fit the body without them, and they can be stacked to give as much magnification as you want. Yes, longer tubes will give more magnification.

Note that there are now (I think) different, much more expensive tubes that allow AF on some of the Mamiya bodies. You don't want those. Not much point in AF when you use extension tubes, IMHO. Just get the plain old extension tubes and enjoy. And I don't think I ever got any of my AF mamiya lenses for my AFD to work on the old tubes; I vaguely recall contemplating a modification to the lenses but then forgot about it and just used the manual lenses.

So in summary: manual lenses + tubes = no problems.

3. images39

images39 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Keith,

Thanks for the reply. I will experiment with using the different tubes. My main use for them will be to get a bit closer when shooting portraits.

Dale

4. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay. Well, FWIW, most people actually want to get further away when doing portraits, to get more ear/nose ratio and more focus isolation.

I would recommend the 80/1.9 for individual portraiture.

Enjoy.

5. images39

images39 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Keith,

For tight headshots, the lenses I have do not focus close enough. I need to be able to get closer.

Dale

6. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  7. images39

images39 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you, this information on the extension tubes is very useful. I also received a message from Ian C with a link to a pdf containing the same info. Precisely what I needed, thanks again.

Dale

8. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Im assuming in those charts the exposure comp is listed in factor... not stops? ? ?

9. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Factor. The Butkus site gives a full repro of the tubes' manual with F-stop conversion for the OP.

10. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, factor.
    Only way it makes sense.

Thanks.

11. landscapepics

landscapepics Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have extension tubes for my Mamiya RZ67. It's worth noting that using extension tubes will give you a short range over which you can achieve focus; you don't just get closer focus, you lose longer focus. This may cause difficulties with portraits.

12. Thomas.Goehler

Thomas.Goehler Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Sorry to revive this thread, but the field of extension tubes for Mamiya 645 is pretty new to me. I have seen an ebay offer for Mamiya tubes. One set is called Mamiya GL, the other set (each consisting of tubes No. 1, 2 and 3) is called Mamiya HGF. Does anybody know the difference?

13. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't recognize either "GL" or "HGF" designations. I've looked at an accessory chart for the Pro-Tl system, the manuals for the Pro, the Super, the 1000s, the 645e and a couple of the AF cameras and there are only references to the 1, 2 and 3(s?) tubes.

Can you supply a link to the eBay auction? Is there any chance that these extension tubes are for another Mamiya format? Could the designation be specific to one market (Europe?).

There apparently is a special edition RB67 GL camera body between the Pro-S and the Pro-SD. I have never seen one of them.

14. Thomas.Goehler

Thomas.Goehler Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  15. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  16. Thomas.Goehler

Thomas.Goehler Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Great! Thanks very much.

17. dynachrome

dynachrome Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I had two sets of manual focus tubes for the M645/1000S/J and this week added the the tube for the 80 macro. I don't have the 80 macro yet but now I'm ready. A few months ago I got the 82mm long extensin tube for my Mamiya RB67 Pro S. It's pretty large.

18. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the references to "GL" and "HG" are to stickers on the tubes that have something to do with quality inspections.