Using older Bronica (SQ-a) backs on a SQ-Ai?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Oscar Carlsson, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Oscar Carlsson

Oscar Carlsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. mooseontheloose

mooseontheloose Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use both SQ and SQAi backs on my SQAi. They're all compatible, so don't worry about it. It's been a few years since I bought a 120 back, but I think I paid about $100 for mine.

3. Oscar Carlsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the quick reply! I'm now only hoping that the bidding will remain sane.

On the other hand, last time I saw a Bronica kit going up for sale it went for approx. $350 (sq-a, 80 mm S, back and metering prism) so maybe there's hope.

4. TheToadMen

TheToadMen Subscriber

Shooter:
    Pinhole
    Hi Oscar,
    I use a Bronica SQ-B and have no problem with old backs itself. Since the SQ-B is a SQ-A without metering I'm guessing here, but I suppose you might miss some electronic connections with the old back? That is, if the new backs feed info to the camera for the light meter or so.
    I don't know for sure, but remember having read something about that.
    But if so, I wouldn't have a big problem with that, especially when the price is right.

More important: is the back fully operational? I once bought a Bronica 135 filmback (for 35 mm panorama shots) that looked oke, but ended up not winding the film correctly. So test with an old film is my advise.

About prices: sometimes it is cheaper to get a whole set than a single film back ... strange world.

5. Oscar Carlsson

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, I think that my metering prism will not work with an older back, but I only use my folding prism so I'm pretty sure I can put up with that :smile:

I wish more sets would show up to reasonable prices. My setup is pretty complete (50, 80, 110, 150) but more is better.

6. paul_c5x4

paul_c5x4 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I also use SQ-A backs on a SQ-Ai. Metering works fine, the only issue being that the earlier backs had the ISO setting wheel on the top. This renders the dial unreadable when used with an AE prism.

The only backs that won't work with metered prisms is the SQ-B version - These do not have the ISO setting dial or the electrical contacts to communicate with a metered prism. In all other respects, the SQ-B backs work fine on a SQ-Ai body.