Using Paterson colour paper drum?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Usagi, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Usagi

Usagi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I have an old Paterson colour print developing drum for 8x10". I have no other instructions than solution volumes printed on the side of the drum (90ml).

The lid has kind of a cup where poured solution stands until the drum is placed on it's side, when the solution spills in the drum.

The problem: There's small gaps on the lid's threads and developing solutions keep leaking thru them. But what is the purpose of those (see attachment image, it's upper right part). I can't figure the reason for them as the lid has already usual draining hole.

Thanks,
    Jukka

Attached Files:

2. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There probably should be a gray plastic gasket between the tank and the lid, just like their System 4 film tanks.

3. newcan1

newcan1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I believe it does. I have one of these - I will check.

I may still have the instructions and the temperature calculator somewhere.

4. Usagi

Usagi Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

I got better pictures now. My drum has plastic gasket - perhaps it's not tight enough?

But will the gasket sit tightly in any case as the top of the lid isn't even. There's a small cut out where the cutted thread's meet the lid's top.

As I don't know the purpose of these cuttings, I assume that it's perfectly ok to just fill them?

Attached Files:

5. Bob-D659

Bob-D659 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Put the gasket in the lid, I think you will see that it seals towards the inside of the lid, not where that small grove sits. Also that lid may work on a tank which has breaks in the threads, so it will drop down and lock in place within a 1/4 turn.