Using Rolleinar Filters or similar over a UV filter?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by EASmithV, Mar 1, 2012.

1. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm one of those people that leave the UV filter on 24/7 and are willing to sacrifice a tiny bit of optical quality, for never having to directly clean the lens, and thus making the coating on the front element last longer. What I want to know, is, is it possible to use Rolleinar filters stacked on top of a UV filter? How bad would the quality degradation be? Would the UV filters act like extension tubes, and would they work as such properly, since both lenses would have UV filters equipped?

2. pgomena

pgomena Member

I'd think the spacing between the rolleinar and the main lens is critical to its performance. You'd be better off putting the UV filter in front of the Rolleinar. There is a bayonet socket on the Rolleinar for doing just that.

Peter Gomena

3. Leigh Youdale

Leigh Youdale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Why ask? Just do it and see what happens.

4. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'd agree with Peter regarding the spacing between the glass being a good portion of the quality.
    But if you shoot a frame with & without you would know for sure(Leigh)

So many things in this hobby are technically incorrect but invisible it's absurd.
    IE: which Leica 50 is the best? :mad:) Like the guy could tell the difference.