using SpotPen - anyone?

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by circeo, Nov 11, 2004.

1. circeo

circeo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just bought the set of 10 and have been trying them out on a few FB prints. I have a couple of questions:

What is the drying time of these? I need to re-apply some spots so that they work in cumulative effect, it seems. Or do I? Am I doing something wrong?

And is there a way to lift off mistakes?

tia

2. oriecat

oriecat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have a set of spotpens, but I don't claim to be an expert of them, I have only used them on RC paper. I think if your spots are are dark enough that you think you need to accumulate them, then you probably need to move up a zone instead. And I just lick my finger a little and wipe if I don't like how something is working. Dunno if that's a good idea, but it has worked for me...

3. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think that depends on whether one has archival (acid-free) spit. :wink:

Distilled water on a soft cloth or swab might be better.

4. Rob Archer

Rob Archer Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've got a set and they're great! I find they dry almost instantly with FB paper so it's best to start with a lighter tone than you think you'll need and go darker if necessary. I haven't yet found a way of removing them although they can be made a little lighter if water is applied immediately. They are so much less hassle than traditional spotting using a brush although they are a LOT more expensive!

Rob

5. baronfoxx

baronfoxx Member

spot pens

I use spotpens and start with a lighter shade than I want to finish with and build up in layers.
    on FB papers I leave about 2 mins between applications, they do not look to good on RC glossy papers.

6. Jeremy

Jeremy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If anyone is interested in a warmtone set of spottone pens I have a never used set that I'll sell for 50% off the B&H price with free shipping! (note: you'll have to look up the current price because I have no idea, but this post reminded me of them sitting unused next to all matcutter.)

7. circeo

circeo Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    When you say does not look so good on RC glossy prints, do you mean it makes a "lump" that rises above the laminate? I have had little luck trying to get the pens to work on any RC paper.

8. VoidoidRamone

VoidoidRamone Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used the pens on some RC glossy prints, and it worked nicely. But you do have to be "patient" with it. The RC paper that I generally use is Oriental, and that's the only RC paper that I've tried the pens on. I use lighter shades and then build up.
    -Grant

9. oriecat

oriecat Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've used it on RC and I think it usually just needs to dry overnight or so and then you can't see the spot at all. I too wondered about the 'lump' when I first tried it, but when I checked it again later it was gone.

10. baronfoxx

baronfoxx Member

spot pens

that is exactly what I mean, i have not kept them long enough to dry out. I will try again and leave the print to dry, it looks as if I have been scrapping a lot of work for nothing