UV light source?

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by Dan Henderson, Nov 9, 2009.

1. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    While out on an errand today I saw a sign for a "huge barn sale." Thinking this could be the place where I find the neglected but pristine 8x10 Deardorff for $25, I could not resist stopping.

The camera was not there, but I did find this UVB light source in the barn, which was not actually for sale. The lady said its intended use was as a treatment for seasonal affective disorder, but that she and her daughter had both burned their skin pretty badly so she was afraid to sell it to anyone else. After I convinced her of how I intended to use the device and assuring her that I would not sue her later, she agreed to let me have it for $20.

My exposure (pun intended) to alternative printing processes is limited to a 6 week summer seminar a few years ago, but I am thinking that it might make a killer light source for alt printing, or even to do photograms.

So did I spend my $20 wisely?

Attached Files:

2. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Judging from the photo and if it will work hortizontally, yes a great deal.

3. piticu

piticu Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    looks like you got yourself a great deal. waht's the size of that thing? i'm currently using a phillips tanning machine that succesfully covers a 30x40cm area. exposure rarely goes over 4 minutes.

4. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    You can use a light source vertically as well, as long as you've got a way of positioning your print frames vertically and parallel to the tubes. I've read about a few cases of working this way in cramped spaces and have considered it myself, but I've become sufficiently accustomed to working with the sun that I haven't been inclined to build an electrical UV source.

5. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    David, I use my UV light vertically (merc vapor lamps) and it does have its advantages, the biggest one is that I find it easier to keep my printing frame cool using a fan. The disadvantage is that the UV does tend to get bounced around the whole room (and into eyes), but that can be worked around. The contact printing frames I bought from B&S are good for standing on end, as they seem to be a little deeper than most of the cheap ones.

Until I retire and the kids leave the house, most of my printing is done at night.

Vaughn

6. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The illuminated area of the device measures 20"x48". I turned it on for a few seconds after it got dark last night and it lit the room up pretty brightly.

Thanks to everyone for your responses.
    Dan

7. Kimberly Anderson

Kimberly Anderson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    YES!