V700 focus issues

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by EASmithV, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EASmithV

EASmithV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm assuming that this will fit in the misc category...
    well, from what I remember my V700 was functioning perfectly when I got it new, less than a year ago...

I boxed it up and it was moved around a bit, but gently, to my knowledge.

I just set it up, and now, when I do a scan,of a kodachrome, a clearly sharp slide has a lack of crispyness. I took it out of the film scanning holder and put the slide directly on the glass, and got a slightly sharper image (still not as sharp as I think it should be though). I then tried a 35mm strip holder, same issue.

It's possible that I never noticed this before, but how do I scan my slides without them losing the fine detail, and retain the convenience of the holder?

This is irritating, i can't get the slide any lower to the glass without taking it from the mount, and that seems what needs to be done for perfect focus... is this normal?! do I just have to lower my expectations?

out of curiousity, is unsharp mask a given with scanning? because i just tried a perfectly focused 4x5 directly on the glass and it still needs unsharp masking.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2011
  2. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hey there, this isn't entirely uncommon. Best advice I could give would be to buy a http://www.betterscanning.com/ holder that has an adjustable height.

3. Moopheus

Moopheus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'll make the obligatory note here that this issue has been discussed over at dpug.org. Search over there and you'll find a lot of threads about the Epson scanners.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.