Vacuum Cleaner

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by arigram, Aug 30, 2006.

1. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Allright, it might be a silly question, but you never know...
    Is there a type of vacuum cleaner that would be best for a darkroom, especially a small one?
    Since I don't have too much floor estate, should I get a small hand held cleaner?
    How about the ones with steam, will it work better for dust?
    Is there such thing as an anti-static vacuum cleaner?

I am quite curious to know if there are other answers than "any cheap thing would do the job"...

2. Ray Heath

Ray Heath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    hey ari, don't make it too complicated, all you need is one with a long hose so the machine itself stays out of the darkroom

3. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format

It could even live outside in a 'mini shed' built as a lean to against an outside wall with just a bit of pipe coming in through the wall which you can attach your hose to when needed.

Oh, I've gone and made it complicated again!

Steve.

4. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thanks guys.
    Yeah I know, KISS and all that, but there might have been a piece of information I am ignorant of, that's why I thought I ask.
    Steve, I think that idea would work in a large communal darkroom that sees a lot of people, but in a small place like mine where I am the only user, I think I would better go with a small hand held dust sucker.
    I was just wondering if there are any things to look for in a good dust fighter, that's why I asked if there is something like an anti-static one.

I would never think of keeping the body of the vacuum cleaner outside. Would it create dust? Doesn't it suck the whole dirt inside? What's the rationale behind that suggestion?

5. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it is a small space, why not a slightly damp cloth to dust with? Save the money and get more equipment you would really use.

6. arigram

arigram Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Now, that was a big KISS from Aggie!
    Thank you dear, I know I would have had trouble spending any money with you as my wife. :wink:

7. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a small 1 gallon shop vac, and keep about 1 inch of water in it to help control the dust.

Dave

8. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Many vacuum cleaners spew almost as much dust out as they suck up. You want the exhaust portion outside of your darkroom, if at all possible. I wouldn't go with the hand-held, if it were me. If you can just get a long enough hose with your home vacuum, I'd go with that. If not, lay a damp towel over the vacuum's exhaust to trap the crap going through it's filter. You may be surprised at how it looks after you've used it!

mjs

9. butterflydream

butterflydream Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I spray water with small atomizer bottle in the air and then wipe the floor with the towel. I hope the water spray takes the dust down to the floor. But I don't know if and how much this really reduces the dust.

I just do it in hope, like other things I do in my life. :wink: