Vade Mecum App

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by lfloyd, Oct 11, 2012.

1. lfloyd

lfloyd Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    I have found Bob Wheelers Vade Mecum to be one the most useful tool I have in my bag for my photography. As we all know does not exist a version for the iphone / android phones etc. What I am proposing is a colabaration of individuals interested in seeing Bob's great program sponsor a reputable programmer to port Vade Mecum to these modern devices. I'm not certain about the legal detail and there is always money involved. However if the port can be done and there is a minimal cost then perhaps Bob could receive some royalty for his program. If only I were a programmer! Anyway what do you think.

Larry

2. Rom

Rom Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,

What is that app made for ?

I google it but didn't find yoo much info about it execpt that it works on HP48.

ther is an emulator called Droid48 which is very good. I am using it on my android device, it's the perfect calculator.

I believe you can use it to run your software vade mecum.

++

3. KenS

KenS Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have been using Vade Mecum for about 11 years or so. I have not, as yet, ever had to use all of this software's abilities. What I can say, however, I that I wish I had had Vade Mecum installed on my Palm Pilot when I was a 'working stiff' before retirement. I cannot guess the hours I spent calculating bellows extension exposures with a stubby pencil and a scrap of paper. These days, I check that that my Palm Pilot's batteries are 'full' just as readily as I check that my film holders are loaded.... and my light meter is 'in the bag'.

If Bob's 'Vade Mecum' is 'ported' to the iPhone, I'll be the first customer.

Ken

4. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I find it rather strange there is not a bellows extension app for smart phones too, talk about a logical move.

5. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was wishing for one today while out shooting, too. I'm not experienced enough, yet, to make truly reasoned guesses and need something I can use quickly.

6. Roger Thoms

Roger Thoms Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The Reciprocity Timer app for the iPhone / iPad has bellows extension calculator.

Roger

7. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow, great App!

Thanks!!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2012
  8. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, that's a useful feature of that app, plus the filter factors.
    However users should be careful of the reciprocity times given by the app. The Tri-X times are the same as Tmax and are different to those given by Kodak.

9. lfloyd

lfloyd Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Neither have I used all of it's features. But, I'm sure you will agree, it's packed with features and what you do use, you like. Love to see this on something else.

Larry

10. lfloyd

lfloyd Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Vade Mecum is a pretty feature rich program for the HP and palm held organizers of the day. It shines at doing large format photog calculations. Nearly all of them! I'd be surprised if anyone uses them all but if you want, they are there. It is in my opinion a marvelous program and I use it almost to the exclusion of anything else.

Larry

11. lfloyd

lfloyd Member

Shooter:
    Large Format Pan
    Thanks for the tip. I don't believe I'm familiar with that app. I'll goggle it up ASAP.

Larry

12. aleksmiesak

aleksmiesak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There was a thread somewhere on APUG the other day about this: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id374359605?mt=8
    I haven't downloaded it yet but it looks pretty sweet! And apparently it was designed by one of the APUG members so it's always good to support our own.

13. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Interesting.....

Maybe when it is updated for the iPhone 5 I will take another look at it.

14. aleksmiesak

aleksmiesak Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hmmm.. That's a bummer. I thought it would work since it requires iOS6 to work. Which I'm upgrading to on my iPhone 4 as I type this.

15. PKM-25

PKM-25 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm just going by what the reviews say of which one is by the developer himself. It looks as if is fine on iOS 6 but not the iPhone 5 yet. I am waiting on Viewfinder Pro to get updated too, I love that app for shooting 4x5...