Valentine's Day came EARLY!

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by pinhole_dreamer, Feb 11, 2011.

1. pinhole_dreamer

pinhole_dreamer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My husband surprised me with a Kodak Duaflex II -- and it still has some color film in it! :smile: I'll send that out to be developed as I don't quite trust my skills cross-processing color to b/w. Plus, he brought me some really old photographs from the late 1800s and the early 1920s! *does happy dance*

Hmmm...Since the Duaflex has no actual focusing lens and is fixed focus, I should probably post this over in toy cameras?

Anyway, *does happy dance*. I already have some plans for the photos I want to take with this, my Brownie box and pinhole! *squeeeeeeeeeeeee*

2. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    :D Way too cool!! :D

3. SuzanneR

SuzanneR Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  4. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That is great!

Jeff

5. pinhole_dreamer

pinhole_dreamer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm loving it and trying to keep the camera out of the hands of my son! He's got the camera bug, too...and I've given him a Konica of his own (fixed focus - found it for $3). Then one of his friends unspooled the 35 mm film so he could "look at the pichers". *cringe*

Anyway, I wonder...can this old film even be developed and rescued or would it just be better to keep the spools and re-spool the 120 film? (I even have a roll of 127 hanging around, too...Efke 100.)

6. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    127 is smaller than 120, so if you intend to use 120, you will need to cut it and the backing paper to size.

There is still some 127 around.

If you can find someone who processes using a dip and dunk processor, they may very well be able to process the colour film for you (assuming it is C41 process).

EDIT: Ignore the above - the Duaflex uses 620 film of course, not 127. So re-spooling is certainly useful. And of course any lab that processes 120 can do 620 instead, because the film itself is essentially the same (the spools differ).

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2011
  7. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Happy-Happy, Joy-Joy!! :smile:

8. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dont think for one minute that the Duaflex II is a toy. I have one and respool 100 speed 120 onto the 620 spools. Check the front of yours again, mine has adjustable focus and three f/stops, 8, 11, and 16 with a description of when to use them. Mine also has a self cocking shutter and a manual recock for multiple exposures, and an "I" setting for instant and "L" for long or timed exposures. These are sweet little jewels and are quite capable of quality images. A word of caution, make a flap out of black tape to cover the red window in the back. There is the possibility of "sun printing" the numbers on the film in bright sunlight. BTW, great gift from the hubby.

9. pinhole_dreamer

pinhole_dreamer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll respool it with the 127 that I have for right now. I should have the larger can that I ordered this coming Tuesday - and the 120 film.

10. pinhole_dreamer

pinhole_dreamer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mine doesn't have the different f/stops at all. It does have the 'I' and 'B' settings. Or...if it does have the f/stop settings, the manual I have certainly doesn't mention them and I can't find them on the camera. My Brownie box 2A certainly has them, though.

When I look at the front of the camera, it does have a yellow cloud filter over the lens...but when I pop that off, there's nothing on the front to show a lens. *edit* There's nothing on the front to show f/stops on the lens.

When facing the lens side, on the right, there's a metal gizmo that has 'R' on it. It doesn't move.

Either on 'I' or 'B', I can do multiple shots on one frame.

*shrugs* It doesn't matter if there are different f/stops or not. This will certainly be a camera I plan on using! Hubby, though, thinks I might make people nervous with this 'thing' hanging around my neck. :whistling::laugh:

Oh and lxdude : Now I'm singing Ren and Stimpy. :tongue:

11. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If yours does't have f/stops or focus it doesn't matter, its still a great camera to shoot. On the right side at the bottom front of the silver shutter release/film advance unit should be a small tab sticking out, thats the shutter cocking button. The shutter should self cock upon winding the film to the next exposure. You dont have to set to B or L to use it, just take the shot then push the button and push the shutter release again. You should be able to do this as many times as you want.

12. pinhole_dreamer

pinhole_dreamer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't have to wind the film to take another photograph. I can shoot as many as I want on the one frame...at least, until I severely overexpose that frame.

13. Paul Sorensen

Paul Sorensen Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have had some success trimming the edges of a 120 spool rather than respooling the film. It totally depends on the camera. With my Brownie Bulls Eye, I need to use a real 620 spool for takeup, but for the film I can just trim the 120. What I do is use a nail clipper and go around on each end basically taking off the last 1/8" or so until the plastic is about even with the film. It saves tons of time vs respooling and is worth a try.

Paul

14. pinhole_dreamer

pinhole_dreamer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That sounds like a great idea. I've been searching the 'net for all different ways to either re-spool the film or just trim the edges of the spool, ect... I figure that I'll have a lot of spools after all of this. ;D

15. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    Better to sell that 127 roll and buy two 120's with the money!!

Make sure any lab you take your film to returns the 620 spools. It would be a shame if they threw them out and you had to find replacements.