Value in an Ultra Micro Nikkor lens?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by altim, Jun 21, 2011.

1. altim

altim Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I found a 28mm/1.8 for sale here, and I'm thinking of getting it (don't tell the missus). After doing some research it is rather tempting to pick it up. After all, who wouldn't want one of the highest resolution lenses ever produced? Besides, I still have Nikon bodies that need lenses :smile:

The thing is, I can't find any reference for the value of this thing online. There are a bunch of them on ebay for $3k+, but I think that is obviously very overpriced. Anyone know the true market value for these things?

2. michael_r

michael_r Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Does it have a large enough image circle to even cover a 35mm frame? The Ultra Micro Nikkors were super wicked sharp, and best of all, distortionless. However they were only optimized for a small, well defined image area, for light at specific wavelengths, and for a given distance (I don't think they have focusing rings).

3. altim

altim Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It does, but Nikon doesn't guarantee the specs of the lens outside of an area in the middle of the image. It is pretty much a collector's piece, I don't think anybody would carry this lens with them for instance.

4. CD55

CD55 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. j-dogg

j-dogg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  6. Dan Fromm

Dan Fromm Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Used at the magnifications recommended, Ultra Micro Nikkors cover4"x5".

7. Pgeobc

Pgeobc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What about that short working distance? 100mm lenses are barely acceptable; 50mm are bad enough, but...

8. semi-ambivalent

semi-ambivalent Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Weren't these made for printing circuits? Being distortion-free is a big plus optically but how valuable is that photographing non-rectilinear subject matter? Additionally, is there any film available today that can out-resolve these lenses? If not, then what's the point (and I love 28mm with 135)?

These would be a major coup for a collector.