Vandyke Brown

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by vintagepics, Aug 9, 2012.

1. vintagepics

vintagepics Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Today I produced two of my first VDBs. I am using no contrast control just trying to get the hang of it. My first image turned out very nice, and even darkened a bit when placed in the fixer. The second image place in the same fixer bleached out in a matter of seconds. I am using a 10% Sodium Thio. Why would the first image darken, and the next one bleach? The only thing I did different was the amount of exposure. The first image was exposed for about 4 min, and the second for only about two since the calotype neg was a bit thinner.

??? :confused:

2. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    That sounds very strange. Firstly your Sodium Thiosuphite solution is too strong, try 2%. But perhaps if you can say more about your entire process steps we can help.

3. vintagepics

vintagepics Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    From the book of Alternative Photographic Processes:

27g Ferric ammonium citrate
    100 ml distilled water

4.5g tartaric acid
    100 ml distilled water

12g silver nitrate
    100 ml distilled water

10% Sodium thio, which I will reduce to 2% next time. I had it left over from some calotypes I was working on.

4. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    But can you describe your process steps?

5. vintagepics

vintagepics Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Sorry,,,,,,

Mix the first 100ml into the next, than into the third. I let the bottle sit in the fridge for about a week. I brush on two thin layers of solution, then dry. Expose for about 4 min in direct sun, wash in running water for several min, then fix for 10 min. Last I wash in running water for about anther 10 min and dry.

6. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Wash for about 5 minutes in a borax solution (about 2 tablespoonfulls in 20 litres of water) You are fixing for far too long. Two minutes is sufficient. You may also try adding a 10% ammonia solution to your fixer bath.

7. vintagepics

vintagepics Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Would the borax wash be before the fix?

8. Herzeleid

Herzeleid Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Yes, but wash for about 5 minutes after and before fix. Fix for 2 minutes max and then wash for at least 20 minutes. let me know how you got on.

10. Tom Taylor

Tom Taylor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't recommend washing the print with Borax before fixing. If anything you would want the wash to be slightly acidic. C. James recommends adding a "pinch" of citric acid to the first 5 minute wash, running water for a second 2 minute wash and then either toning and fixing with a 3% ST fix for 1 to 1.5 minutes in that order, or straight to the fixer for 1 to 1.5 minutes - both followed by a final wash. I interject a 2 minute sodium sulfite bath before the final wash. Either way you should see a substantial "pop" in the fixer or in the toning stage. At least that's has been my experience.

If your first print turned out well and the second one didn't, then that implies that there was something amiss with how you either processed the 2d print or with the exposure (negative and print).

Thomas

11. Gadfly_71

Gadfly_71 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    First thing to check is exposure. Under-exposed Vandykes will bleach horribly when fixed (I always overprint slightly, knowing that they will bleach back a bit). Second thing is your fixing regimen. Your hypo is far too strong (I generally use 1 heaping teaspoon of hypo crystals to 1 liter of distilled water), and you're fixing time is far too long. 1 to 2 minutes should be plenty.

12. vintagepics

vintagepics Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Thank you all for the input. I have a nice sunny day, and three sheets have been coated. I have my fingers crossed. Thanks again.....

xoxoxoxoxoxo

13. vintagepics

vintagepics Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    VDB beach house.jpg

Worked like a charm. Thanks gang.