Vaseline

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by bvy, Dec 30, 2013.

1. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Occasionally I read of people casually suggesting to use Vaseline to deal with leaky Paterson tanks and print drums. Presumably, then, there's nothing in petroleum jelly that could contaminate developer. But could the stuff retain traces of other chemicals -- like bleach and fix?

2. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I would think that it would retain traces of chemicals, if only on the surface of it. Myself, I don't like the sound of something like this. If chemicals can leak past the lid, then a lid smeared w/ Vaseline could leak Vaseline into the tank. I have a Paterson System 4 tank and it leaks, but not too much. I just live w/ it. I do the inversions over the sink and always use long gloves when I'm developing film.

3. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ennnh, methinks petroleum jelly has a habit of migrating everywhere and I'd rather not have it near anything involving film handling.

4. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have sealed a leaky tank in the past by using quick setting epoxy resin adhesive. In fact I still have a stainless steel tank with a hairline split along 1" of the base which I repaired some 12 years ago and it is still liquid tight.

5. lightwisps

lightwisps Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    How about a silicon solution? You can get variations in tubes for all sorts of things

6. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Even worse at migrating the vasolene. If either one gets on the film before it is processed it will prevent development wherever it sticks.

7. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Put a piece of electrical tape around the seam, if leaking bothers you. Keep the Vaseling for dipping your MIG nozzle into (welding).

8. gleaf

gleaf Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Polygem and others make flexible epoxys. Polygem site check out zoopoxy. They have flexible that is enviro save enough of making artificial vines for the monkey enclosure. Very safe with standard handling while not set. Benign once set.

9. BMbikerider

BMbikerider Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I would go along with silicon sealant, was the previous poster Lightwhisps mean in that. easier to use than Epxoy resin as well, Why didn't I think of that?

10. John Earley

John Earley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If my tank was leaking at the threads, I would just wrap it with some Teflon tape prior to lights out.

11. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear bvy,

Tanks are really inexpensive. If you have one that leaks due to damage, get a new one. Compare $40 with the price of a single roll of film, the time and effort you spent carefully composing and exposing your images, and the cost of transportation to and from where you made the exposures.

Neal Wydra

12. RalphLambrecht

RalphLambrecht Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about getting a new tank?
    :wink:

13. MartinP

MartinP Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The Patersons with the 'tupperware' style lid shouldn't leak, and the previous version must be at least thirty years old by now so . . . yes, time to replace the tank perhaps.

14. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  15. bvy

bvy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone. My tanks are newer, not even a couple years old. The Paterson tank lid has no threads -- it's the "Tupperware style" lid mentioned above. It takes some time to get it on properly -- time that should be spent agitating -- and I think a thin layer of something (like Vaseline) would help it pop quickly into place. Maybe. Even so, brand new ones are prone to slight leakage. I have two of them, and it's the same with both.

Also, one of my Unicolor drums has a slow leak. I've read that a little bit of Vaseline around the gasket will slow or stop the leak.

I appreciate the practical considerations, but mostly I want to make sure the goop won't retain chemicals over time and processing cycles -- or migrate to film or paper if used very sparingly.

16. Truzi

Truzi Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could try cutting some new gasket material. Not necessarily replacing the extant ring, but to help it seal a bit better - though I'm not sure what to use. I only have a few plastic tanks (I prefer steel), but is it possible storing the tanks with the lids screwed down too tightly may hurt the sealing ring?

17. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for that hint. I never saw anything like that over here. Only the classic epoxies and those concentric putty-strings.

18. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just a vague thought, but why not try a coating of wax on the section of lid or ridge that provides the seal?
    Since it won't be in the tank itself, but the seal........

Ski, car or even canning wax. Remember.......Wax on, Wax off

19. randyB

randyB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I had the "leaky" tank problem with a brand new Samigon knockoff of the the original Paterson style tanks. I traced the leak to a too small gasket ring that goes between the lid and tank body. To fix the problem I cut the gasket and spread it to fit the tank lip, then filled the gap with black silicone caulk. I braced the gap with 2 SS needles inside the silicone fill. Still works today, I just don't roughhouse the gasket.

20. chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Vacuum grease is used for O-rings. You can get it @ Amazon, and it lasts a very long time. I use it on the bright parts of my Leitz 1c enlarger. Chip

21. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    +1

22. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    its bad ?

ive used a leaky unicolor drum for years ( on and off )
    and when i purchased the roller and drums i contacted unicolor ( they were still around )
    and they told me it was in the instructions to smear a tiny bit of vaseline
    on the thin gaskets to keep them sealed ... ive been using it like that
    never a problem with contamination &c .. i figured
    if the company that made the tanks had it in their instructions
    it probably isn't bad ...

thanks!
    and happy new year
    john

23. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

invert over a tray and measure the loss. Add extra next time or return the leaked amount to the tank.

Do NOT store the tank with lid in place as it will become stretched.

Buy a new tank.

I have had stainless tanks for 50 years with no problems. Plastic has a like span