VC 28/35 mini finder

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by Slydog, Feb 21, 2005.

1. Slydog

Slydog Member

Feb 1, 2005
    New Orleans
    35mm RF
    Would someone share with us their experience with the Voigtlander Cosina 28/35 mini accessory viewfinder? I have the metal VC 35mm finder which is indeed very good but I was considering something smaller to make my Bessa T more pocketable. How does the actual image size of the mini finder compare with that of the larger 35mm finder? Is it compatible with eyeglasses?

FWIW, I keep a Voigtlander Cosina Bessa T as a backup to my Leica but would like to use it more often as a take-everywhere camera. I was wondering if the mini finder is that much smaller that it makes the camera significantly more streamlined.

Thanks in advance for your replies.
  2. Lee L

Lee L Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Multi Format

The 28/35 combo finder stands 14mm above the camera top plate, and stands 1 cm higher than the top of the shutter speed dial on the T. It's 15mm wide, about 3/4 the width of the hot shoe base, and a metal body. Mine's small enough that it eluded me on a first-pass look for it to measure. It rattles around in a 35mm film canister. I can just make out the 28mm frames with eyeglasses, which fit fairly close to my face.

Magnification is at or very near 0.5x. Sometimes that makes the two framesets seem a bit crowded. It does have parallax marks for both frames. The rubber surround on the back is like a square grommet, and tends to come loose, especially when it rubs against something as when going in and out of a camera bag, so be careful with that. I'm considering gluing mine at one or two points. The front element is completely exposed, not set back in a frame, so it's prone to fingerprints. It's as bright and clear as the other V/C finders, and significantly smaller than the other finders, with a much lower profile; enough to make the difference between being pocketable and not. I'd buy one again for the same reasons you want one, and I don't even have a 35mm lens, only 40mm and 28mm.