VC filter deterioration

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Don Mills, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Don Mills

Don Mills Member

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    I heard that vc filters deteriate over the years. Is this true? If so, how often should they be replaced? Thanks!

2. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Take it for truth or outright lie, but I have seen something to the effect that you should change the filters every 2-5 years, depending on how much you use them and how they are stored. I can't remember where I read this - so take it with a large grain of salt, please. :smile:

3. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have also come across differnt time frames, 5 to 10 years, I use a set of Dupont filters that I have owned for 35 years, to date I have not notice any problems.

4. floydking

floydking Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've had my current sets of above and beneath the lens Ilford filters for about ten years and I can't say that I've noticed any deterioration, though I suppose like all colour materials they're almost bound to fade eventually. Best thing to do is to keep the out of the light, which I presume you do except when in use.

5. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Looking at the logic, whether or not the color changes. Filters are a very soft plastic that pick up dust and scratches over time even when stored and used carefully. We will demand that a lens be perfect without cleaning mark, fungus or dust. Perhaps not too far a stretch, the windshield on your car does not transmit the same quality image after 100,000 miles or so. Mine is covered with stone chips and crazing. Little scratches and dirt accumulate and will degrade your image. Relative to the cost of all the other photographic pieces we have, a new set of filters every so often may be a good cost effective investment.

John Powers

6. Ronald Moravec

Ronald Moravec Member

If they are out of the focus path, scratches do not mater.

When the 1/2 the exposure time one grade higher and 1/2 the exposure time one grade lower do not substantially give the same contrast as the middle grade, they are faded. 1/2 time with #3 and #1 should give the same result as #2.

Overall slow fading may occure even without use. If you can not high or low grades, replace them.

Anothe clue might be if no filter and #2 do not get the same contrast. Crossing brands will probably negate this test.

I have never experienced any fading.

7. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Didn't Simon Galley announce a promo recently where a box of 100 sheets of MGIV 8x10" will come with a new set of filters? I don't know if that's on now, if it's just passed, or if it's coming up.

One issue is that some of the old filter sets didn't have ND filtration built in like the current Ilford MG filters, so the exposure changed with the filter. With the current filters, the exposure stays constant for grades 00-3.5 and you add one stop for 4-5.

8. Marco S.

Marco S. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2006