Velvia 50 or Velvia 100F?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Snapshot, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi All,

I placed an order for 40 rolls of Velvia 100F 135-36 (expiry date 12/2008) and received 40 rolls of Velvia RVP 135-36 (expiry 03/2009) at a total cost of $154 US, including UPS shipping. That works out to $3.85 per roll, which is very reasonable.

Well, I'm not sure if I should return the Velvia (as I believe it generally sells for more) or keep it. As for the Veliva 100F, does anyone have any opinions on this product. Bear in mind I don't normally shoot much in the way of reversal film and I want to experiment with it for a while.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 16, 2007
  2. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Very few people like Veliva 100F - it isn't good for nature or landscapes, many used in advertising. I personally don't like it much. I'd keep the RVP.

3. Rick Floyd

Rick Floyd Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You ask for opinions: Keep the Velvia and don't ever look back for the 100f. IMHO, you received the better film. My experience with the 100 is a finer grain pattern when compared to the "F". At least shoot a roll on your favorite subject and settle it in your own mind. Give it a chance. It may open your vision to greater depth in color and sharpness, which happened to me. My opinion.

4. dslater

dslater Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have used and like 100F. I think it gives better skin tones when you photograph people than RVP does. I think that most people who don't like 100F are landscape photographers who find it not quite as saturated as RVP. What you do really depends on how you plan to use the film.

5. David Henderson

David Henderson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    100F is the only film available under the Velvia banner that I really don't have a use for. Its not just a question of saturation, its what it does to colours that really offends me. In particular the way it dirties yellow, oranges and greens in the direction of drab browns and olives, and the way it fails to hold a decent cyan in skies. It may be better with skin tones than other Velvias but then for people images I'd be leaning towards Provia 100F anyway.

As others have said I think they've done you a favour -unless you really need the extra stop in which case personally I'd have more use for Velvia 100 (not F) with the single caveat that it is even more inclined to exaggerate reds at sunset and sunrise than the RVP.

Personally, I think that 100F was rushed out as a replacement for the then to be discontinued Velvia 50 and was roundly rejected by many users. Now that Velvia 50 has been relaunched it wouldn't surprise me at all if 100F disappeared sooner rather than later.

6. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well, it seems keeping the Velvia 50 is looking like a better option. I'll speak to the seller and see if he has any issues. I don't think he'll want to pay for shipping to and from Canada and deal with the hassle of an exchange.