Velvia 50 Strikes Back!

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Wolfeye, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was able to obtain a few (35mm) rolls of this newly-re-released emulsion and here are a few shots (taken with an Olympus OM-10) :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It *seems* to me that this modern, updated emulsion is a tiny bit kinder with skin tones than the previous one. It also seems less intense with the reds, but as with the original, green and blue are quite pronounced.

2. Kino

Kino Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Amazing color. Will have to snag a few rolls myself!

3. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Cool tricycle!

4. dmr

dmr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    May I ask where you got it? Is it available over the counter here in the States yet?

5. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Fujifilm USA

I sent an email to Fujifilm USA asking when it would be available. The gal wrote back sometime in June or early Summer, and asked if I'd like some sample rolls. She sent me 5 rolls. I've shot two rolls. If you'd like I'd be happy to send you a roll, or you could ask Fuji for a pre-release sample.

6. David Henderson

David Henderson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I got samples from Fuji UK about a month ago and so far I've used one 120 roll in parallel with some of my last remaining stock of the original RVP material. For my application (which did not include people) I found it tough to tell much difference between the original and new versions- which I think is positive whilst we have the somewhat different Velvia 100 to choose from too.

Thats a preliminary view.

7. Snapshot

Snapshot Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't seen any here in Canada. By the looks of the posted samples, I think I would be interested in trying out a few rolls.

8. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice, I can't wait to see Velvia 50 hit the shelves here in Greater Toronto.

9. dmr

dmr Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks. If "early summer" is the target, I think I can hold my breath. :smile: I'm sure two of the shops here will start carrying it when it makes its way into the pipeline. :smile:

10. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Who did you write? I wrote Fuji USA and got a non-answer (.... Fuji 50 was discontinued, <blah><blah><blah>, but will be available sometime in the summer).

11. Travis Nunn

Travis Nunn Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think the same person responded to me...

12. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I suspect I won't hear back from them. I responded and told them, that I'm a pro landscape photograher and Fuji ProNet member, and that I wasn't interested in non-answers. Gee.... good old corporate USA has invaded Fuji :surprised:

13. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    My Fujifilm contact

I sent her an email this morning, asking if I can share her address here. I'll let you know.

14. MartinB

MartinB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    megaperls had it

I bought some 120 from megaperls website - it was in my hands in about 10 days. The service is excellant. This has the Japanese writing on the package so not intended for export but, on the other hand, available now! Have not got it back yet from processing so no results.

15. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm getting ready to order film for an upcoming trip, and was trying to decide whether to hold off or not.

16. MartinB

MartinB Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Robert,

I paid the extra for express shipping with web site tracking. It looked like most of the time was getting through Canadian customs (USA may be faster?) It was out of Japan and in Vancouver within 3 business days of the order so not sure how it would be to Hawaii. It looks like he has new velvia in 120, 220 and 4x5 but old velvia in 35mm
    Megaperls

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2007
  17. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I still have a stash of the old 50, but not in QuickLoads (which I prefer for traveling). I'm afraid Megaperls would probably be too expensive, but I'll keep them in mind. I plan on shooting Velvia 100 in the Nikon and have a good supply of that already.

18. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fuji Canada yesterday claimed it was currently being shipped to local shops. YMMV. I think they listed Vistek and Henry's in the email but I forget.

19. Baxter Bradford

Baxter Bradford Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Evening all... think I can add something to this discussion.

My friend David Ward has been testing the new emulsion and has posted a comparison and mini-review on 15 June at his blog oceans of instants. There are some well considered musings there too - as those familiar with David's writing and images would expect. He's been making some wonderful pictures this year.

Apart from the slight change in colour, the new one being marginally more neutral, the film is a true ISO50 apparently confirmed by Joe Cornish too.

I now have a box of Quickload which I'll test in the near future. Forgot to put a couple of sheets in the bag for this morning's outing, so have rectified that now...!

20. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks Baxter. I always enjoy reading David's articles. I wasn't aware he had a blog, but I'll be watching it from now on out.

21. Baxter Bradford

Baxter Bradford Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Just a quick update on this new Velvia 50. I have now shot a few sheets against 'classic' RVP50 in early morning light. The results are virtually indistinguishable - except that I did use ISO50 for the new and ISO40 for the old. Haven't done any scans yet and really not any point since they are that close on the lightbox.

Early days yet, but much more upbeat than when trying out RVP100. Good news alround. Still have a few hundred sheets of the 'Classic' in the freezer to shoot first.

The base curls less when processing too, not that this affects image or those who lab process, but is an issue when arranging film out of the tank onto my drying holder. In fact it proved the easiest way of determining which was which!!!

22. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the update Baxter. Still trying to get it here in the US. I heard they were giving away rolls of 35mm Velvia in San Diego, CA a few weeks ago, but haven't seen anything about it being on the shelves here yet. I still have a small stash of the old 50, so I'm not totally lost.

23. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just Film in San Francisco has the new Velvia 50 in 120. I plan on getting some and trying it out next week!

24. John McCallum

John McCallum Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good to hear your results Baxter. Especially happy about the sturdier base. I just had curly lab-processed sheets again recently - nuisance when it comes to making prints.

The gen iso 50 will be a benefit, but most of all looking forward to the colour pallet.

25. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It looks so to me too, I wouldn't have expected to to get such an acceptable skin tone from Velvia 50, it's good to know at pinch you can shoot people with it without making them look like boiled lobsters.