Velvia sheet film now ALL discontinued ???(not a repost)

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by PeteZ8, Sep 5, 2012.

1. PeteZ8

PeteZ8 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I've seen the news back in July that some Velvia was being discontinued in 4x5", but not all. I've heard only 100F, then only 50 and 100F but not 100, but now B&H shows that all flavors of Velvia in 4x5" (and 8x10") are discontinued. Anyone got the scoop? I e-mailed Fujifilm USA last night but as of yet I have not received a reply. The only "official" declarations I can find from Fuji on the matter appear on their UK site.

Is it really so???

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2012
  2. kbrede

kbrede Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. PeteZ8

PeteZ8 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you for the update. I wonder why B&H shows Velvia 100 (non "F") as being discontinued? I can live with only Velvia 100 if I have too, not that I shoot much 4x5" slide but when I do, well...

4. PeteZ8

PeteZ8 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I just talked to the film counter at B&H... they seem a little confused now as well. They're looking into it and I'll keep this updated. Might be a few days...

5. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A while back I was looking for an Omega enlarger accessory. B&H had them, then before I could order they were listed as discontinued. Some time passed, then they were again listed as available, and I purchased one.

When I asked about it, I was told that "discontinued" means that B&H feels they can no longer obtain the item in the foreseeable future, for whatever reason. If it becomes available to them again later, then it becomes un-discontinued.

In other words, "discontinued" apparently applies only to B&H's inventory supply, not necessarily to the manufacturer's situation regarding the manufacturing of the item in question.

I don't know if this still applies, or applies in your case. Or was just being made up on the fly by the person I was corresponding with. But it's what I was told.

Ken

6. PeteZ8

PeteZ8 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Thank you Ken. The person I spoke with put me on hold to contact the buyer, but the buyer was not available. I was advised to check back in a day or two. I certainly did not get the feeling that I was being fed a line from the rep on the phone, as I never do with B&H. Got a name and extension and all. Just the same top notch service I always get from them. I see what you are saying about B&H's definition of "discontinued", and I suppose that makes sense. Adorama now shows 50 and 100 as being temporarily unavailable with 50 being open ended on delivery, so perhaps there is something to your explanation.

7. SkipA

SkipA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Perhaps a mod could change this alarmist thread title since there has been no annoucement that all Velvia is or will be discontinued. As far as I can tell, it is still just 100F in roll and sheet, and 50 in sheet. Velvia 100 (not F) will remain.

8. PeteZ8

PeteZ8 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had meant to put a ??? in the title.

9. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nothing spectacular about Velvia 100F and I suspect that no love will be lost when it topples off into obscurity. It is a very difficult emulsion to scan well requiring a lot of colourimetric inversion and testing.

On the other hand, losing Velvia 50 (when, not if ), and to a lesser extent Velvia 100, will be a serious tragedy.

It is important to note that what retailers are doing, stocking and saying is not the same as what is happening at the manufacturer's end.. So whatever B&H and Freestyle and others are doing is irrelevant. Fujifilm has already made the announcement regarding which Velvia emulsions will be discontinued from December 2012. There is no need to read anything more into it based on poor inventory or ad-lib references of retailers.

10. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    B&H has previously marked things as 'Discontinued' only to have them subsequently rise from the dead.

I think there's some kind of disconnect between their buyers and their sales staff.

- Leigh

11. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Way to send me into a panic, guys! I shoot 35mm not sheet film, but I figured if Velvia was going away in sheets, how long would it be before it went away in rolls? :blink:

12. tim elder

tim elder Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It would be great if B&H changed their policy of when and why they mark a particular product as discontinued. It's not like it used to be, when a product would be discontinued, but would be replaced by a different one that nobody liked as much as the original one. Now, when a product is gone, it becomes a referendum for the state of the industry.

Tim

13. SkipA

SkipA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Agreed, tim. "Discontinued" conveys a much different message than "out of stock". Perhaps Henry Posner (henryp) will see this thread and take the message back to B&H. henryp at bhphoto.com I think.

14. wogster

wogster Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think there are a few issues at work here, discontinued doesn't mean it's gone.

1) A product can be discontinued for sale by a specific retailer, this can be, because they don't want to keep a SKU and inventory of a perishable product that does not sell well. It could be because, they are not guaranteed stock by the distributor. maybe because the distributor has it back ordered, until the next ship comes in from Japan.
    2) A product can be discontinued by the distributor, maybe because it does not sell well in that country, even if that country is where it is manufactured.
    3) A product can be discontinued by the manufacturer, that usually means it's gone. Manufacturers don't often discontinue products publicly, when they are manufactured in bulk like film, they stop making it, and if it sells, they make more, if it doesn't they let it disappear. Then discontinue it.

15. PeteZ8

PeteZ8 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Official reply from Fuji:

Dear Peter,

Thank you for contacting FUJIFILM North America Corporation. Please allow us to assist you.

Unfortunately, Velvia 100F has been discontinued in all formats, while Velvia 50 has been discontinued in 4x5 and 8x10 formats.

Velvia 100 film is currently still in production, and is available in both 4x5 and 8x10 formats.

We sincerely hope this information has been beneficial to you. If you should have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact us in the future. It would be our pleasure to assist you again.

Thank you for your interest in FUJIFILM products and services.

Respectfully,

Damion
    Authorized Customer Care Representative
    Customer Care, Imaging Division
    FUJIFILM North America Corporation

16. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I believe this is the same response I read weeks ago in the british journal of photography and elsewhere. That's why all the rvp 50 was bought up rather quickly. I've got enough in my freezer for at least 15 years.