Vericolor - from where is the name derived

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by BasilA, Jul 17, 2013.

1. BasilA

BasilA Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello, I am familiar with names like EKtachome (EK being Eastman Kodak) and Kodacolor, but I've always wondered where the VERI in Vericolor Films comes from. Anybody know? Kind regards, Basil

2. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From the Latin veritas meaning truth. So Vericolor means true color.

Once again the value of a grammar school education evidences itself. Grammar schools were so named because students were taught Latin grammar. My Latin teacher was Mrs Daly. Each day six students were sent up to the board to conjugate a verb or decline a noun. Mrs Daly was an artist in the use of a piece of chalk. Mistakes were punctuated with a piece of chalk hitting them. Sometimes also the student. She once threw a large Latin dictionary at a girl who made the mistake of wearing orange on St Patrick's day.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2013
  3. madgardener

madgardener Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yikes! The worst I ever had thrown at me was an eraser.

4. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mrs Daly: "Gerald, would you care to decline a noun today?"
    Gerald: "gladly"
    Mrs Daly:"then why aren't you getting up and going to the chalkboard?"
    Gerald: "I declined, didn't I? I'll decline the verb too, and anything else that would make me get out of this chair :smile:"
    *THWAP* (eraser hits Gerald) *POOF* (cloud of chalk dust erupts)
    Mrs Daly: "You were saying, Gerald?"

5. KennyMark

KennyMark Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    +500 pts for TFC!

6. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've also seen some UK members call it "Vericolour". Perfect excuse to light the torches right there!

7. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Us Canadians agree with our UK brethren/sisters.

I wonder if I have an old Pro-Pack box around somewhere - to see whether our Canadian stocks were properly labelled!

8. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I got hit by a large dictionary aimed at someone else. It knocked me out of my chair onto the floor.

The teacher apologized and told us she was aiming (poorly it seems) at the student in the next row.

Anyhow, I took French instead of Latin and I wore orange on St. Patrick's day. That is the rebel in me.

PE

9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And Kodak used both name versions: Kodachrome and Kodachrom

But this is only for those who learned Greek at school...

10. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    By the sounds of your Latin classes, I'm shocked y'all weren't attening Catholic schools!

I excelled at church Latin but not real Latin. Also took French but wasn't allowed to speak it at home. Then Spanish... which I failed to master despite passing all of my classes with decent grades.

11. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Veri part comes from Wratten and Wainwright and their Verichrome film released around 1908. George Eastman bought Wratten & Wainwright at GEK Mees insistance (he was a director of W & W) when he was asked to join Kodak and set up their new research facilities.

Ian

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 17, 2013
  12. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gerry,, you are right. Veri- comes from the Latin of "truth" and is found in many Kodak products including Verifax and other non-film items. Just as, for some reason, many developers end in "-ol". I wish I knew why. Versatol, Polydol, Xtol and so on. Latin, Greek or what? Anyhow, that is another Kodak naming convention.

PE

13. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You know one thing I liked about Kodak's 80-90s era packaging was the simple lowercase Helvetica (atleast I think it was) design.

[​IMG]
    Kodak Lens Cleaning Paper by aephecks, on Flickr

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Ron,

The -ol ending goes way back in photography. While Kodak used the name Elon, others used Metol, Genol, Planetol, Pictol, Ardol, Ecol, Photol, ... Planetol makes me think of Buck Rogers.

16. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I recognize that in developing agents as well as developers, but I was wondering the origin. Oh well, a mystery.

PE

17. madgardener

madgardener Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Being a relative youngster around here (my elementary school days started in the mid 70', in the state of Wyoming), there was no Latin being taught. As I understand it, writing (cursive) is not being taught at a lot of US schools these days, because of the focus on standardized tests. As Someone who was forbidden recess quite a few times in the third grade because of penmanship, I can't say that it hurts my feelings.

18. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wait until you have to read something "written" by a 20 something modern person!

PE

19. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am upset that cursive is no longer taught in our schools. My youngest is still in high school, and has beautiful hand writing(because I taught her). I won penmanship awards in elementary (catholic)school, had to excel to keep the penguins from hitting me. I'm naturally left handed, and was routinly cracked on the knuckles with a wooden pointer for it, forcing me to write right handed. They also taught us latin and french, as they were a French-Canadian order of nuns.

20. madgardener

madgardener Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Being left handed, I was lucky to be in a public school, I only lost boxes of crayons. After the 5th box however my mother had a little chat with the principal who lived one block away from us (Ah the joys of a small Wyoming town). After that the teacher left me alone, except for missing lots of recess that year. Technology was my ultimate savior when not to long after that my parents bought a TRS-80 model 1. My grades went up by a lot because teachers could read what I was writing.

As for something being written by 20 year olds, they write? I thought everything thy did these days they did everything electronically! When I was in classes, I was often the only one with a pen and paper taking notes, everyone else was using either a tablet or laptop.

21. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    PE, I got this from Yahoo 'answers' as to what 'ol' means in chemistry:

"The suffix –ol is used in organic chemistry to form names of organic compounds containing the –OH group (hydroxyl group)"

And, PE, I do adore your quote: "Wait until you have to read something "written" by a 20 something modern person!". Academics seems to be, essentially, either meaningless in today's culture or subordinated to the level of mediocrity. Just try STUDYING in today's noisy libraries and just try SUGGESTING to the staff that the (yes, THEIR) noise level be kept down. A year ago in the (exclusive!!!) Rittenhouse Square branch of the Philadelphia Free Library there were two rather well-to-do women whose screaming children (about 5 years old) kept the Library at bay for 45 minutes!!! And I do not know for how long afterward because I told them, in a bit of a forceful voice (but not yelling) that they were not the only people here entitled to use the library. The big, black guard immediately told me not to talk to them that way (he was defending this affluent, white privilege) (!!!). I simply left because one simply cannot cut through that combination of adrenalin and moxie without going mad in this neurotic city of fools.

Rick: i must be younger (63) than you: because, also, I am left-handed, but was never punished for that indiscretion. And, long ago, I forgot how to write (except my signature). I print always. - David Lyga

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2013
  22. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My brother is about your age, David... and left handed too. Or I should say he WAS left-handed because the teachers "trained" him to be "normal". For all of his life he was somewhat handicapped because of that. He developed few skills with his left hand and lousy skills with his right hand.

23. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David, I'm 61, but the nuns at the catholic school did their utmost best to "make me normal", to no avail. My father pulled me out and let me attend public school from 5th grade on, but the damage was done.

24. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    David, thanks for the -ol definition. I am originally an organic chemist, and all of the developing agents mentioned have an -OH group. Geez, how dumb of me.

PE

25. DREW WILEY

DREW WILEY Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Utterly strange information here ... I mean the school thing. Never heard of a teacher throwing things at students. How barbaric! Where I went to school it was always the students throwing things at the teacher. The minute the math teacher turned his back, the blackboard was splattered with spitwads. "You knunkleheads, who did that?" He was a horrible math teacher. Good teachers were treated treated respectfully, though some pretty bizarre practical jokes transpired from time to time... and the chemistry lab was indeed blown up by the school dunce randomly pouring concentrated chemicals down the drain (after he grew up he owned his own engineering company, while the school chem whiz ended up as a welfare bum, and the physics whiz kid made millions early on in software design, then spent twenty in prison for income evasion, and now is by far the most informed min wage security guard the Tech Museum has ever employed.

26. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    And color from the odd American way of spelling colour!

Steve.