Versatile Flash for my Hassey?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by gr82bart, Jul 22, 2003.

1. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I need to get a flash for my Hassey. I looked at the D-40, but it has only one mode - TTL. I'd like a flash that has a fully manual mode too, any suggestions?

Art.

2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Quantum offers lots of power as well as dedicated modules that support TTL, manual, and non-TTL auto flash.

I use Normans, but if I wanted the option of TTL, I would use Quantum. Barebulb type flashes (you might also consider Lumedyne) are the most versatile in accepting different reflectors and light modifiers.

3. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi David,

Thanks for the feedback. I should have clarified on-camera flash versus stobes or studio flashes.

Anyone have any first experience with the Quantums? Or Metz or SunPak?

Art.

4. Ed Sukach

Ed Sukach Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    One thing Hasselbad did that baffles the !#!$% out of me is discontinuing the "ProFLash 4504". This is essentially a Metz CT45 with a built-in dedicated SCA adapter for the 503C's (and probably, all the other `blads as well). Complete choice of manual, thyristor, or OTF modes.... and by far, the simplest system *I've* ever seen for fill-in.

The best thing I could suggest is trying to find one of these somewhere, or buying a Metz CT45 - or CT60 - and a Hasselblad SCA adapter.

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Norman makes both battery powered on-camera flash and studio strobes. I use both.

6. brimc76

brimc76 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been using a Metz 60 CT4 with my Bronica ETRs for a few years now and I really like it. The only drawback I could see would be the weight of the dryfit battery. It gets heavier after a couple of hours-or it seems to, but I have never run out of power for the flash.

7. DavidCummings

DavidCummings Member

I've had a Metz 45 series flash for 10 years with a 503CX and it is really good. Sometimes I just leave it on auto-f/stop and let the flash sensor do the work, but if I set twice the ISO value on the camera body the TTL flash feature is just about right for synchro-sunlight fill. AA batteries in the handle and no separate power pack. Consider this.