very cheap 35mm B&W film?

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by BetterSense, Mar 17, 2010.

1. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have made a automated camera that is going to really chew through film, especially during the testing phase. I need some 35mm film that is very cheap. Speed is not important. I will probably be bulk loading.

Freestyle has LegacyPro 100 for what works out to about $1.33 per roll if I get 18 rolls out of a bulk spool. At this price, and this extremely high image quality, I might just stop there, but I have heard about people scoring spools of movie film for even less. I wouldn't have the first idea where to look for movie film, though. Any ideas?

2. largeformat pat

largeformat pat Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    G'day,
    Why not look at some just out from Hunts or somebody. May save a couple of bucks this way.
    Pat

3. David William White

David William White Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Call Eastman Kodak direct at (800) 621-FILM (3456). Here is the link to their motion picture price list:

http://motion.kodak.com/motion/uploadedFiles/QA_MotionPictureCatalog_March9_2009.pdf

As you can see, they have 400ft. and 1000ft. rolls of Plus-X and Double-X (as well as colour stock, of course) and the price can't be beat. I ordered 400ft. of Plus-X for my P/D project and have gone through about half of it so far. BTW: I had the film on my desk within 3 hours of calling them.

I'm stunned that I'm the only one who keeps mentioning it.

4. largeformat pat

largeformat pat Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thats great service.

5. David William White

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, and I believe you can call them anytime up till 10pm and they have the film to you in the morning. Cinematographers need this kind of service, after all.

6. BetterSense

BetterSense Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Although the service may be great, Plus-X on that catalog is still more than legacyPro from Freestyle, per foot. I know that sometimes people get short ends or recans, though.

7. tiberiustibz

tiberiustibz Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ultrafine online sells their house rebrand film at $20 per 100 ft for the 100 ASA version.

8. Denis R

Denis R Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  9. debanddg

debanddg Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Lookout if someone is selling Sterling or Nova films on the net. In India a 36 exposure roll sells for US$ 0.5 -- even if you add the shipping costs it would be hard to beat. Quality is ok for test purposes.

Cheers
    Deb

10. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    do the 35mm MP films(b/w) have the back coating on them like the color films do?

requiring specialized machinery to "scrub" it off?

-Dan

11. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is a company that sells "remainders" of 16mm and 35mm movie film. The have locations in NYC and LA. Can't remember the name though; perhaps someone else knows. IIRC, they sell it by the foot.

12. viridari

viridari Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is the same stuff that we use in a 135 format camera? And is a special bulk loader required?

13. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Found it: http://www.filmemporium.com/

But prices don't look all the great to me (compared to 100' rolls at freestyle).

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Anscojohn

Anscojohn Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No, Viri. A bulk loader is not required. You must cut and spool the film by feel in the dark. I have bulk loaded for going on fifty years and have never owned a bulk loader.

16. jp4669

jp4669 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Also, keep an eye on eBay for bulk deals on expired or otherwise "questionable" film...

Here's 200 rolls of 24 exposure c-41 B&W for $199 ($1.04/roll, including shipping)

They seem to insinuate that it's respooled XP2 (and maybe it is...there can't be too many other c41 B&W films produced in EU). I probably wouldn't go out shooting weddings on the stuff, but it might work for something like this.

17. Tim Gray

Tim Gray Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No the motion picture B&W stock does not have remjet that you have to remove.

18. David William White

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good luck finding short ends...I've had a standing order in at Certified Film for over a year now...it's like an urban myth. You can get what you need, same day, for 0.35 per foot. If that's not the best price, then it is within pennies of you best.

19. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Freestyle sells for 0.24 per foot in 100ft rolls of Legacy Pro 100. That's Fuji Neopan Acros.

20. David William White

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Okay, that is cheaper. Probably not for me, with duty & shipping.

21. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There's no duty on film in Canada. You'll pay shipping plus applicable sales taxes.

22. David William White

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've always had brokerage fees collected by UPS when I've ordered from Freestyle, sometimes egregious.

23. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No, the 35 mm B&W negative films offered by Kodak do not have a remjet backing. Eastman 5222 makes for a pretty good still camera film, but it's hard to find in short ends, and isn't less expensive than some other purpose made still camera films.

24. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, not duty. UPS fees.

UPS Ground is to be avoided cross-border. UPS by air is fine. FedEx is fine. USPS is finest although slowest.

25. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Arista Premium 400 is $35 per 100-foot roll. The Double X stock ends up being exactly the same price as listed in the PDF to which you linked (though the better economy with ISO 100 film goes to the Arista Premium 100 in 100-foot rolls, because the MP stock is priced identically to Double X, but the Premium 100 is $5 cheaper per 100 feet). So, for 400, I'd get whichever comes in the most convenient quantity for you to handle. For 100, I'd get the Arista Premium in bulk rolls. Doing so, you save $20 per 400 feet, or $50 per 1000 feet over the MP stock.

Kodak's description of Double X makes it sound as if it has a Remjet coating, but not Plus X.

P.S. For anyone who wondered what Arista Premium is, and why it can be priced like it is without Kodak losing money...there is your answer. I would not be at all surprised if their black and white negative MP films were not exactly selling like hotcakes. So, how to move materials along and make some money, as opposed to letting them rot and losing money? Rebadge it as still film and put a Freestyle label on it.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2010
  26. David William White

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good breakdown. Except the suggestion that Double X might have a remjet backing. No special alkali pre-soak is required to process this film -- I've straight-processed tons of 5222 and it's a beautiful film. That B&W MP film isn't a big seller anymore seems reasonable and would explain the scarcity of short ends that everyone wants.

In the end, it looks like the Legacy line has the edge if someone is looking for the best price for fresh film by a major manufacturer. Let's see what BetterSense decides on.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 18, 2010