Very nice Compur w. Tessar killed?

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by JPD, Jul 29, 2008.

1. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So I got this excellent looking early rim-set Compur with a clean 4,5/13,5 Tessar. It was working nicely on all speeds except the 1sec. where the clockwork stopped in the middle of the second.

I tried to lubricate the gear axles with tiny amout of oil, but it didn't help, so I decided to clean the shutter in naptha. Since the aperture blades are made of some type of paper, I had to take the shutter mechanism out of the housing.

I cleaned the mechanisms, but now I can't reassemble the shutter correctly it seems... Nothing works. There are a lot of small pieces and springs, and I can't find the problem...

How irritating is that? I never should have started tinkering with it. :rolleyes:

Now, is it worth it to send the shutter to a repairman? Can it be as much work as a compleat CLA to just reassemble the shutter correctly?

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could almost certainly find another working shutter for less than the cost of repair. A repairer takes a shutter to bits methodically you'd give one a nightmare :D

Those blades are metal not paper !!!

Ian

3. Greg_E

Greg_E Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm betting there is a small cam that you need to preload when putting the cover on to make it work. There are numerous websites that go over rebuilding the Compur shutters, they should get you close enough to get the cover on properly.

4. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I thought the repairer could see what I did wrong and correct it. :tongue: All the pieces are in place.

And yes, the aperture blades are indeed paper. Many dial-set Compurs and Compound shutters have paper irises.

http://www.skgrimes.com/compound/index.htm

Attached Files:

5. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The slow times not working properly on old dial-set Compurs is sometimes due to too little friction instead of too much. A few drops of oil will make sure they don't work at all! :D

6. Ole

Shooter:
    Large Format
    BTW: Some Compur and Compound shutters have paper iris blades. I've only seen it on ones I've bought from the USA, never on German or other European buys.

7. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This is a 1928 rim-set Compur.

However, yesterday I DID work on a dial-set Compur. This time it was only the anchor in the escapement that needed little naptha to work again. It's for another of my 13,5cm Tessars, so I can still use one if the rim-set Compur above can't be repaired. :D

The mentioned shutters were bought from Germany, came from Zeiss Ikon Maximar cameras, and both have paper irises.

8. Ole

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Any day when I learn something new is a good day.

Thanks!

9. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  10. Ole

Shooter:
    Large Format

Attached Files:

11. Fotoguy20d

Fotoguy20d Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    This is how the thread started:

"So I got this excellent looking early rim-set Compur with a clean 4,5/13,5 Tessar"

SOmewhere I have some info on dial set compurs. I've poked around inside a couple of #2 dial set units. I have a rim set #1 which is slow and I was going to have a try at cleaning it up myself using this guidance but ahven't gotten to it yet.

Dan

12. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ole as usual is a mine of information.

I have a 1919 16.5 cm Tessar in an early Dial set Compur and that does have metal shutter & iris blades. It's strange that they'd use an inferior material.

Was there a shortage of the metal needed for blades at some stage ?

Ian

13. Ole

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My ooops.

Since "old dial-set Compurs and Compunds" were mentioned, my brain switched gears. Or perhaps the slow escapement didn't catch, which is what sometimes happens with over-lubed dial-set Compurs...

The paper blades may indeed be a WWII shortage kind of thing - anyone have any other good reason for lack of thin spring steel? :wink:

14. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes it's a rim-set Compur. The early type with the locking screw for the cover hidden under the aperture scale.

Fotoguy20d, thanks for the link, but I have already been there.

Grrr, no matter how much I try, it looks good but something feels stuck, or the shutter stays open, or all the speeds are the same, or... :mad:

Not sure why they used paper. Maybe because matte black paper scatters less light than blued steel?

Attached Files:

15. Ole

Shooter:
    Large Format
    One more thing:

There are very many different versions of rimset Compurs, at least one of which must NOT be cocked without being fully assembled. There's a little spring that goes sproing if you do that, and only a very good repair person (i.e. Carol at Flutot's or Adam at SKGrimes) will be able to fit it back together. It took me six hours to give up...

16. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    No war in 1928, and it was a couple of years after the inflation. I also have a Gauthier Ibsor with paper iris. Maybe we could ask Friedrich Deckel if he remember?

Oh, wait...

17. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Except this is a 1928 Compur, or is it ? The lens maybe a 1928 Tessar in an newer shutter ? Compur shutters have serial numbers too.

Aren't springs, shutters & aperture blades made from a type of Gun-metal ?

Ian

18. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I worked on it all night, until it looked like a fuzzy ball of grey cotton. My eyes are still tired.

I don't know. Maybe I'll leave it as it is, or ask someone to fix it for a couple of 120 rolls of APX 25. If I'm lucky I will win on Lotto and be able to pay for a repair.

I'm waiting for an Eurynar (dialyt) in a dial-set Compur. Bought it as-is, so I'm holding my thumbs that the shutter works. Dial-set Compurs are easier to work on, though.

19. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I remember a sign I once saw in a clock repair shop.

It read:
    Clock Repair
    $10
    $100, if you watch
    $1000, if you tried repairing it yourself.

I hope you hit the Lotto - you might need lots of money!
    Good luck.

20. Ole

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Rodenstock came late to the standardisation of shutter sizes. The only lens I've found which fits into the (dial-set) shutter of a damaged 13,5cm Eurynar is another 13,5cm Eurynar! :D

21. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm sure my Eurynar is a larger thread than the Compur, I tried the 1950's 150mm f4.5 Tessar cells, and they didn't fit. (SAme size threads as the 135mm).

Ian

22. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    :sad: They usually don't like amateur repairers, no. I sent a picture of the shutter mechanism to two repairmen. I hope they are humble and friendly. :sad:

23. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hurrah! :D

I'm planning to persuade my retired father to visit his old workplace to make an adapter for my 6,8/16,8 Dagor to fit in a larger Compur. He use to say "no, I can't just...", but after that he can't just leave the "problem" unsolved. :D