Vibration indicator for large format cameras.

Discussion in 'Camera Building, Repairs & Modification' started by darinwc, Dec 16, 2013.

1. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Is there such thing as a small device that will measure vibrations?

I would like to have something on my LF camera that would help me select a good time to trip the shutter.

2. Photographica

Photographica Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I've never seen device designed specifically for monitoring tripod vibration. Although as I think about it, I think it would have been extremely useful on several occasions.
    Here is a solution for you:
    look for a portable audio amp. You can find several variations on your favorite auction web site. try searching on this string:
    Portable Audio Guitar Bass Mini Amplifier Clip Amp Headphone Speaker
    it's less than $20 including shipping from China.
    I'm sure you can find several others. Guitar players use these as a personal practice tool.
    Then search for a piezo sensor or transducer. There are hundreds of these available for a few dollars to what ever you're willing to pay.
    Plug that into the audio amp and you will have a vibration detector with an audible output into either a speaker or ear buds.
    Depending on how handy you are, you can apply this in several ways.
    Cheers,
    Bill Riley

3. Vaughn

Vaughn Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I guess I know what the next phone app will be...

4. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    a little cup of water?

5. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You could try a plumb bob attached to the base of centre column. There is a phone app for detecting vibration — it is part of a wider suite of utility tools e.g. spirit levels, gyroscope, compass, angle finder...

6. Photographica

Photographica Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Holy Jurassic Park! That's brilliant!
    :D
    Bill Riley

7. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I kinda like my app better. I don't have a cell phone, TG.

8. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exactly. I use one of the little cups that come with NyQuil.

9. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Tape a laser pointer to the front standard. When the spot is still the vibrations have stopped. Put the dot in the image if you want to test how still your camera was during the exposure.

10. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    laser is the best--with a long throw will provide the extreme amplification of the vibration needed to see when the low frequency swaying is at a minimum. You can point the laser in any direction--behind the camera even, so it doesn't show up in the picture. note there will be more than one axis of vibration and the torsional back and forth twisting (left and right) is probably the biggest problem as the general tripod construction with long thin flexy legs and a big camera with big rotational inertia on top provides a natural torsional vibration system--back and forth ("left and right") rotation about the tripod column axis. the bigger and heavier the camera, the more rotational inertia and the worse the problem--the longer the tripod legs, the more spring action and the worse the problem. A thin twisty center column will make the problem worse too--keep that column from extending.

Also, for big cameras with long extensions, you have that "up and down" vibration--when the camera is racked out the rotational inertia is increased and it bops up and down about the tripod mount--this is more the flexure of the camera itself about the tripod mount and if the column is extended up--it can be minimized by a bigger tripod plate--connection surface between the camera and the tripod and not extending the center column.

as soon as the swaying subsides--a breeze comes along and starts it all over again. The physics of the system shows that this is generally not a problem with small , lighter cameras (as long as they are on reasonably rigid tripods)--only big heavy cameras with big mass that can store keep vibrations going for a long long time.

high frequency vibrations tend to die off very quickly unless they are being driven by some outside force and are near the resonant frequency of the camera/tripod system.

11. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PhotoToolsPro App has the function.

David

12. WetMogwai

WetMogwai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That seems like something that could be made fairly easily with an Arduino and an accelerometer.

13. BrianShaw

BrianShaw Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not mitigate vibration with a gyro instead of just detecting it?

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Or just hang a bagfull of sand or rocks from the head or center post of the tripod.:blink: You can carry an empty canvas sack and some paracord...

16. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take the photograph and print it really large. If there is any vibration it will show up in the print.

17. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hardy har-har! :wink:

18. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    darinwc, I am glad you you enjoyed that.

19. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  20. Tom1956

Tom1956 Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Remember--unelected legislators (bureaucrats) have nothing to do all day but sip coffee and make ridiculous new laws and sop up a comfy paycheck. You've got to figure at least one or 2 of them gathered around the coffee pot are still human enough to smile privately that you might be flagrantly breaking their little law they made up. At least you're not mounting bazookas on your camera or something.:D

21. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format

+1
    great way to stabalize

22. Wayne

Wayne Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    No need to carry a bag of rocks, your camera bag is the bag of rocks.

23. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    One of the many reasons I bracket, even at $9 a negative. It is still cheaper than returning. That is even if the shot can be recreated another day.

Also another good reason for a big Ries wooden tripod. Supposedly wood sucks up the vibration better than the other available materials.

John Powers

24. Brook Hill

Brook Hill Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have found one of those little spirit levels with two bubbles at right angles which you attach to a flash bracket or just rest on the camera are quite sensetive and do show if there is any movement, the bubbles just flicker a bit with vibration such as mirror slap when the shutter is fired or wind movement. Cheap and simple.

Tony

25. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where did I recommend carrying a bag of rocks?:blink:

26. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The idea that hanging weight will minimize vibration is a common misconception. Doing so does absolutely nothing to mitigate vibration--if anything it makes the situation worse by adding another pendulum to the system--more mass=more energy storage (both kinetic and potential energy)=MORE vibration.

All hanging weight does is make the system more resistant from being blown over by the wind--the wind will still add energy to the system when it blows--not only does the wind push a big camera bellows, that bag of whatever hanging there will catch the wind and start swaying--that gives pulls back and forth which set the camera to swaying (if it already was at rest).

Think about it. TRY it--measure the differences when you get your accelerometer.

If the camera/tripod is very light weight where the wind can push it and disturb it, that isn't a vibration problem, it's a "being blown around in the wind" problem.